Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

mSATA installation in X220

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
Jason404
Sophomore Member

Is it possible to switch the mSATA drive off through softwar

#31 Post by Jason404 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:22 am

My X220 came with a 320GB 7200RPM disk which I plan to eventually replace with an SSD, like the ADATA 128GB one, which seems to be very fast. This runs Windows 8 Enterprise.

I've just ordered a supercheap KingSpec 16GB mSATA SSD from eBay, which I will use for two or three Linuxes (CrunchBang and BackTrack most probably), mounting an NTFS partition on the main disk for files using Paragon NTFS/HFS Free Edition.

What I want to know is if it is possible to turn off the mSATA drive when booting into Windows on the main drive, so that it does not use any power? I suppose an idling mSATA SSD is unlikely to use much power while idling, but if it possible to switch off hardware somehow from Windows, I'd like to know how to do that.
T410, X220, X200s, X200, X40, X31, X30, 755c
STOLEN! sold still used in the family broken for sale!

Check out the ThinkPad subreddit at http://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad

GreenmanAZ

Re: mSATA installation in X220

#32 Post by GreenmanAZ » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:41 pm

So, I have windows 8 Enterprise, x220t i7 and have just installed an msata drive - 840 EVO by Samsung 250gb.

I tried some of the methods above to no avail.... However following a post or video elsewhere, I found the link below. It made life so easy.... An additional trip to fry's electronics to pick up an msata usb device and I was up and running in no time. (Actually about 90 minutes for the disk cloning process).

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... loads.html

I highly recommend this route.

Thanks for the great forum, my first post, but not my first visit!