Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X201 - Odd LCD panel damage - ADVICE NEEDED

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
donatellojones

X201 - Odd LCD panel damage - ADVICE NEEDED

#1 Post by donatellojones » Fri May 04, 2012 6:49 am

Hi all,

I have an X201-3249CTO. I've been happy with it but tonight I encountered my first hardware problem.

When I open the screen/lid the display shuts off. When I close it or more precisely, close the lid such that it is 30o open the LCD panel lights up again or works. The computer works perfectly otherwise.

When I disassemble the laptop I've found that the LCD panel will light up only if I manually stretch the LCD ribbon.

Question: What is the problem? LCD panel? Cable ribbon? Has anyone encountered this problem?

Thanks for your help

The ribbon is shown. When pulled down or taught (toward bottom of image) the display lights up.
This is the general area of the ribbon cable

Bibin

Re: X201 - Odd LCD panel damage - ADVICE NEEDED

#2 Post by Bibin » Mon May 07, 2012 1:46 pm

I had this on my X200 at one point. If it's a CCFL-lit one, it's more likely that your backlight is being disconnected briefly. If the CCFL is disconnected for even a second the tube won't come back on without the inverter restarting (which lid closing and reopening does). I would check that the cables in the top lid are securely attached to their correct receptacles.

donatellojones

#3 Post by donatellojones » Tue May 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Thank you for the reply.

It turned out that I had a single pin broken on the cable connecting the LCD panel and the motherboard.

I had it replaced (out of warranty) and all is good again.

forests_gump

#4 Post by forests_gump » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:10 am

Sidetrack a little... I have rather unpleasant experience with LCD ribbon cable on X200.

Everything was fine, then 1 day (about 1 yr) the Thinklight was showing periodical unable to light up.

Then finally it is dead (over 2-3weeks), then i read the Thinklight is integrated on the LCD ribbon cable. (and this cable is the most expensive cable on the X200). So i bite bullet, paid for replacement it.

It never come to my though the problem come back again barely 1 month later. The Thinklight was dead again. Thus i decide it is not worth it anymore, Thinklight is great, but the cost of replacing it is greater!