I bought my X220 at the end of May 2012.
It is an i7 type 4287-CTO, IPS, factory installed BIOS 1.31, set to legacy mode only.
It's of course much better than the x100e I had to use for months, but just ok compared to my former T60. The centre of its lid flexes a lot, it feels extremely cheap. Even an Acer would have a better build quality.
Anyway, I have several issues with the machine:
- I guess its screen is bleeding at the bottom.
- When I boot the computer, the Bluetooth, Caps lock, speaker mute & mic mute leds, as well as the Thinklight (!) briefly blink altogether right after I press the power button. Almost every time.
I never experienced this on my T60... I figured the blinking leds *might* be an actual feature of the new series, but the Thinklight?? That doesn't make sense to me. I've watched X220 reviews on Youtube and didn't see the Thinklight blinking upon booting.
- There's a CPU throttling with the original 65w AC, if no battery is attached.
- The display keeps switching back to 50Hz from 60Hz, I'm not sure if this happens when I remove the laptop from its Ultrabase. It seems a bit random... (edit: I made sure to de-activate Intel's energy saving settings, in the Screen Properties)
- I also had issues running Win 7 on my new SSD: it'd get installed properly, along with Lenovo drivers, but wouldn't turn off. Something's probably messed up with the drivers... or it might somehow be linked to BIOS issues?
That drove me crazy in any case, and I ended up creating recovery DVDs from the origanlly supplied HDD, and then installing them on the SSD. Now it works almost properly, I just can't use the fingerprint reader.
I can live with the bleeds; the software issues might go away when I purchase Win 8 few months later (tough there'll probably be other issues, and though I suspect might be hardware related to some extent); and it seems like CPU throttling won't be completely fixed (i.e. working at full speed with or without a battery attached) anytime soon.
So, what annoys me the most is (paradoxically) the Thinklight blinking. Have you also experienced this? Shall I downgrade my BIOS to an older version? Or shall I just send back the computer to Lenovo and see what happens afterwards?
Your inputs will be appreciated, cheers