Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X200 - Unable to get mPCIE Wi-Fi working

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
salamisami

X200 - Unable to get mPCIE Wi-Fi working

#1 Post by salamisami » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:25 am

So, I've got a X200 Thinkpad. Great machine, works really nice in almost every aspect - however, I can't enable internal wi-fi.

I've tried anything I may come up with - installed all and any drivers of course, tried multiple Linux distributions and Windows versions, Installed BIOS hack to enable unsupported wifi modules - and tried those in the machine - but absolutely to no avail.

And since there's 3 pcie slots - 2 full size and 1 half size, I've tried them all, but still, nothing. I'm entirely unable to use internal wi-fi at all, so I'm stuck using USB wifi which overheats and drains the battery faster, or then I'm using ethernet but that kills the idea of a mobile computer.

Network management applet on Linux says "wireless disabled by a hardware switch, but it sure as hell isn't, and even if it was, it would shut off the bluetooth as well, but bluetooth works just fine.

Anyone else ever had this problem? I'm at a loss, I can't think of anything anymore. Device manager / lspci recognizes the card just fine, but it just won't work. Incredibly frustrating.
X200T running Crunchbang Waldorf | X201/X200 Hybrid with AFFS screen running Xubuntu 14.04

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X200 - Unable to get mPCIE Wi-Fi working

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:06 am

Wifi switch ON on the left side near the front?
Tried Fn/F5 ?
Checked in BIOS if wifi is ENabled?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:58 am

Try this:

Boot into BIOS>> Security >> I/O Port Access >> Wireless LAN enable >> F10 to save setting and reboot
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor

salamisami

#4 Post by salamisami » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:26 am

emeraldgirl08 wrote:Try this:
Boot into BIOS>> Security >> I/O Port Access >> Wireless LAN enable >> F10 to save setting and reboot
RealBlackStuff wrote:Checked in BIOS if wifi is ENabled?
No dice. All are enabled.
Wifi switch ON on the left side near the front?
Yes, I tried to say that in the OP post.
Tried Fn/F5 ?
Yes, nothing.
X200T running Crunchbang Waldorf | X201/X200 Hybrid with AFFS screen running Xubuntu 14.04

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:41 am

Tried another wifi card? Yours might be faulty!
The 'normal' wifi slot is near the front, under the palmrest.
Have you checked that the wifi-switch is WORKING?
'Bridge' it yourself if needed...
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

salamisami

#6 Post by salamisami » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:00 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:Tried another wifi card? Yours might be faulty!
Installed BIOS hack to enable unsupported wifi modules - and tried those in the machine - but absolutely to no avail.
Have you checked that the wifi-switch is WORKING?
'Bridge' it yourself if needed...
Additional information? The switch on the side which controls wireless at least works with bluetooth, i'da ssume it would work with wifi too...

FryPpy

#7 Post by FryPpy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:38 pm

salamisami wrote:Network management applet on Linux says "wireless disabled by a hardware switch, but it sure as hell isn't, and even if it was, it would shut off the bluetooth as well, but bluetooth works just fine.
It means that Thinkpad asserts pin 20 on WiFi card. Why?! CHECK THAT WiFi card installed in WLAN slot (near the bottom edge of thinkpad body)!!!
If you can test thinkpad acpi (sysfs) state it may help. But i can recommend you begin from testing in windows ;(

You must install appropriate chipset, video, WiFI driver (bluetooth if needed), PM driver, and Hotkey features.
After that restart Thinkpad, Switch on main wireless switch. And press Fn+F5. What is shown in Wireless dialog? Can you switch wireless LAN on in dialog? Can you connect to WiFi network after that?

BTW
What is the MTM of your ThinkPad (with 3nd miniPCIe slot)?

salamisami

#8 Post by salamisami » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:56 am

Okay, I opened the laptop, and checked the mpci-e slots. Apparently the one that is supposed to hold the Wi-Fi card hsa one bent pin, and the others are actually use an USB interface. Nothing I could do about it, chose to order a new motherboard replacement. Dropped in a p8600 mobo, ta-dah, everything's in working order. Wlan works out of the box! Didn't even need to reinstall my OS, everything seems to work just fine on the new motherboard + cpu.

whalepirot

#9 Post by whalepirot » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:43 pm

salamisami wrote:one bent pin....... new motherboard......everything's in working order.
Happy for you, but my son's x200t has this issue, seemingly related to power changes. I 've shut off the power conservation control of shutting it off, reinstalled the card with cleaning of the contacts; a few times, and noticed no bent pins..

the only thing that seems to work is removing the card and possibly, disconnecting the BIOS battery with no battery or AC adapter connected. I am hoping the Realtek driver (replacing one from M/S) will work for more than a day.

whalepirot

#10 Post by whalepirot » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:40 pm

New drivers, recently released helped some. The WiFi is iffy, at best, and usually requires a reboot after the morning boot. It may fail in a short while; another reboot, or run for hours. the signal meters are usually wrong; opposite or maybe correct, but hardly reliable.

If the reboot doesn't bring it into hardware recognition, a hard reset (no power attached,' hold down the PWR button for 30 secs. or so) seems to reset it.

I have no problem replacing the WiFi card, IF I felt it was the issue, but this seems software related.

Is this a hardware issue that replacing the card will fix? thx.

whalepirot

#11 Post by whalepirot » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:37 pm

None of that worked for very long. I replaced the WiFi card with an Intel 5100. Been great since.