Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Anyone else have trouble with Access Connections or the wifi

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
drake3

Anyone else have trouble with Access Connections or the wifi

#1 Post by drake3 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi all,

I have been using my X301 for a month now. Previous Thinkpads I have used have been a Z60m, Z60t and t60. All of these machines came with XP and I used the Access Connections and Wi-Fi software provided by Lenovo without much trouble. We use proxy servers at work and the Lenovo software really helps me switch from LAN to Wifi at work and also when I am on campus at school. The proxy switching and firewall control is great.

The problem has been with the X301 and the software that came with it. I ordered the 301 with XP instead of Vista and have not uninstalled any of the thinkvantage software except for the hard disk shutdown utility - because I have the Samsung 64GB SSD. I have run the thinkvantage software updater and checked for the latest updates. My wireless card driver is reported at 12.1.0.14 and thinkvantage version is 5.12.

Also, I should preface this too with my current job as a network administrator. I deal with network issues every day as I administrate a medium size network including VoIP hardware.

The problem with the X301 has been location switching. Sometimes it does not see the correct wireless network even when it is in range so I have to use the access connections manager to manually connect to the correct wireless network. Also, it seems either the DHCP client or the renewal process that access connections uses is broke. The X301 when it did connect to my wireless networks could not get an IP address from the DHCP servers at work or home (both are Windows 2003 DHCP servers). Never had these problems with the previous thinkpads on any of my networks in the past.

I have worked around the DHCP problem by giving my X301 a static IP address. This is easy when you are the network admin, but the location switching is still a problem. When I wake the computer from standby I have also had several problems when I don't leave the current network, i.e. - I am at home, put the computer to standby and then wake it. It will associate with the wireless network but I cannot get any traffic through until I poweroff the wifi connection and then power it on. (F5 control)

Just wondering if anyone else has had these issues or any suggested fixes.

Thanks!

GatorHawk

Re: Anyone else have trouble with Access Connections or the wifi

#2 Post by GatorHawk » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:53 am

x61s here w/ Intel 4965AG card. I had very similar symptoms that you have described, although I am running Vista.

Updated the Intel Wifi and Access Connections (and all of their dependencies) and it seems to have completely cured the previous Wifi voodoo. No more random drops, or inability to connect after sleep.