Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Monitor calibration for T520

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
hdblair

Monitor calibration for T520

#1 Post by hdblair » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi All:
Have a relatively new T520 and would like to calibrate my monitor. I have used the somewhat lame method included with the system but suspect I need to do a proper job of it. I do a lot of photography so having it calibrated is quite important. Any suggestions on the best (and least inexpensive) way to do it/get it done?
Thanks,
Harolde

Kuturgan

Re: Monitor calibration for T520

#2 Post by Kuturgan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi,
I'm experiencing the same problem with my T520 HD+.
Display has a blue tint from the factory, I don't know if it is case for all T520 HD+ displays. I heard that different companies supply displays to Lenovo, so it may comes from LCD manufacture (LG, Samsung, Philips etc).
From what I understand, actually you can't properly calibrate HD or HD+ displays. They are not made for image processing work, because they have a poor contrast, low brightness, poor view angles and not accurate color rendition (blue tint).
I've tried to calibrate color rendition by Intel software, but when I adjust blue color in order to obtain a true grey color instead of blue color, I loose a white color which becomes too soft and warm.
So my advise to you if you use HD+ or HD panel replace it by FHD or try another HD+ from different manufacturer.

hdblair

#3 Post by hdblair » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Kuturgan wrote:Hi,
I'm experiencing the same problem with my T520 HD+.
Display has a blue tint from the factory, I don't know if it is case for all T520 HD+ displays. I heard that different companies supply displays to Lenovo, so it may comes from LCD manufacture (LG, Samsung, Philips etc).
From what I understand, actually you can't properly calibrate HD or HD+ displays. They are not made for image processing work, because they have a poor contrast, low brightness, poor view angles and not accurate color rendition (blue tint).
I've tried to calibrate color rendition by Intel software, but when I adjust blue color in order to obtain a true grey color instead of blue color, I loose a white color which becomes too soft and warm.
So my advise to you if you use HD+ or HD panel replace it by FHD or try another HD+ from different manufacturer.
I finally purchased the Colormunki Display to calibrate my monitor and it now works great. I have used the calibrated monitor to color correct hundreds of photos now (and printed 4 books) and the colors between the monitor and the books are basically a perfect match.

Not necessarily a cheap alternative.

Harold

Kuturgan

#4 Post by Kuturgan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:18 am

Great for you!
What type of screen is on your t520?
FHD or HD+?

hdblair

#5 Post by hdblair » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:50 am

Kuturgan wrote:Great for you!
What type of screen is on your t520?
FHD or HD+?
HD+

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by Puppy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:39 am

You can try color profile posted with W520 review here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Len ... 220.0.html Reading this http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=99760 thread also might help.
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

Kuturgan

#7 Post by Kuturgan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:52 am

Puppy wrote:You can try color profile posted with W520 review here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Len ... 220.0.html Reading this http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=99760 thread also might help.
Thanks for the links, but I couldn't find any software that can calibrate HD+ display on T520.
Tomorrow, Lenovo will replace my HD+ display by another HD+ (they refuse to replace by FHD). Hope another display will be more accurate in colors and bright as well.
Addressing to Lenovo: I don't understand why we must calibrate the display, by using sometime expensive softwares, on the "Pro" laptops that must be ready to go straight from the factory? Why the screen of the new Thinkpad series is of so bad quality comparing to DELL, HP, Sony laptops?

bapatterson
Freshman Member

#8 Post by bapatterson » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Kuturgan wrote: Addressing to Lenovo: I don't understand why we must calibrate the display, by using sometime expensive softwares, on the "Pro" laptops that must be ready to go straight from the factory? Why the screen of the new Thinkpad series is of so bad quality comparing to DELL, HP, Sony laptops?
Not trying to be flippant, but Lenovo is installing what it thinks people want at the price point they are willing to pay.

If you are unhappy, then perhaps you should switch to Dell, Sony, HP etc. Voting with your wallet is the only way Lenovo is going to get the message and change.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#9 Post by Puppy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:49 pm

Kuturgan wrote:Tomorrow, Lenovo will replace my HD+ display by another HD+ (they refuse to replace by FHD). Hope another display will be more accurate in colors and bright as well.
No, it will be TN panel technology as well -> accurate colors: definitely not because it is impossible with the outdated TN technology, more bright: maybe, depends on backlight but might introduce worse contrast ratio and more visible backlight bleeding (especially with LED backlight).
Kuturgan wrote:I don't understand why we must calibrate the display
It is almost impossible to get calibrated display from the factory because different batches can have different characteristics. The question is whether you can improve anything by the calibration for particular model. It is similar to lets say replacing lenses of cheap digital camera with small sensor to get better image quality at ISO 6400 setting. Technically the camera can take pictures at such high ISO settings but the result will be always awful with any lens. The same is valid for calibration of a TN panel.
Kuturgan wrote:Why the screen of the new Thinkpad series is of so bad quality comparing to DELL, HP, Sony laptops
It is called "marketing" :( There is no single technical reason why not to continue with traditional IBM ThinkPad quality of FlexView displays. A clever manager has decided that saving a $10 on the display component is a good thing for the ThinkPad brand. There are currently HP and Dell models only with IPS panels but its availability depends on your location.

On the other hand notebook as a product got cheapened in last years at all. It is no longer tool for serious work regardless of brand. Sad. Those clever managers got idea it is device for watching movies only.
Huawei MateBook 13

Kuturgan

#10 Post by Kuturgan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Puppy wrote: Those clever managers got idea it is device for watching movies only.
That is what I am talking about. Using Thinkpad just for watching HD movies is like using Hummer just for shopping or bringing the kid to the school.
I have nothing against cheap laptops for consumers who search for entertainment abilities of their laptops. But I hate when Lenovo says that Thinkpad series is a "Pro" or "business" oriented laptops, because in reality they are not, or no more at least.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#11 Post by Puppy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:08 pm

Kuturgan wrote:I have nothing against cheap laptops for consumers who search for entertainment abilities of their laptops. But I hate when Lenovo says that Thinkpad series is a "Pro" or "business" oriented laptops, because in reality they are not, or no more at least.
Agree. The notebook market is weird. Sometimes I'm getting envious I don't need a digital camera rather than a computer for my work. The digital camera market is just amazing, you can select from cheap to expensive "Pro" cameras and you get what you paid for.
Huawei MateBook 13