Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T420s mouse issue

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
synchromesh

T420s mouse issue

#1 Post by synchromesh » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 pm

I noticed something rather strange going on with my T420s. Every time I take it off the docking station Ultranav (both touchpad and trackpad) stop working in Windows 7. It takes 2 (sic) reboots to get them back up. It doesn't matter whether I shut the system down before taking it off.

Last time it refused to work even with USB-mice without a reboot. Is this a hardware problem or just a bad driver issue? I do have a wireless keyboard connected to the dock which I use while the machine is on it too.

Bill Z
Freshman Member

Re: T420s mouse issue

#2 Post by Bill Z » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:32 am

Just guessing here but something you can look into.

In the BIOS of the TPs there are docking set ups. However, much is done at boot time and when USB devices are attached. Since you have a wireless keyboard and mouse on the docking station, when you remove the TP from the dock, it doesn't always since that the USB device was removed to remove them from the device table.

I figure this would be hard to do with out a mouse, but what happens in the device table when you remove the TP from the dock? Then what happens when you do a refresh?

The suggestion here is to have the device table up before you un-dock so all you have to do is to do Alt a twice to do a re-scan.

Let us know what you find out.

synchromesh

Re: T420s mouse issue

#3 Post by synchromesh » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:43 am

I've checked that before, it appears there is no mice listed in device manager after the system is removed from ds. So I'm guessing it's a driver issue.

Did anybody else hit something similar before?