Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Digitally signed driver problems

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
mariol90
Freshman Member

Digitally signed driver problems

#1 Post by mariol90 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:31 pm

Using official lenovo discs, I'm restoring some T400 laptops. One keeps having errors that say "Windows requires a digitally signed driver." the one during the preload customization (when it's installing windows and all the software/drivers) says this:
Drive: SMBIOS Driver
Service: Lenovo Parties Service Access Device Driver

so i continued on and windows installed properly. I ran system update and it did the same thing, except to the video driver and audio driver. both of those were basically disabled, and once i removed the new driver, they were fine. I tried installing windows 7 SP1 after that, and it said this:
Installation was not successful
Catastrophic failure
Error: E_UNEXPECTED(0x8000ffff)

i have the same issue with vista, haven't tried XP yet.

all i can really think to do is run the thinkvantage toolbox diagnostics, try a different hard drive, and run memtest. if none of these show any hardware problems, what should i say to lenovo? the laptop is under warranty.

jayton4

Re: Digitally signed driver problems

#2 Post by jayton4 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:20 am

I have seen these kinds of issues before occur because the restore discs were from a different configuration from the model you are installing it on. Fox example, using restore discs from a later model T400 on an earlier T400 and vice versa.

I would only start worrying about a system board failure if running Lenovo Update doesn't fix it.
jayton4
Current models/upgrades:
T410 2518X01- 8GB, Corsair Force GT 120GB
T410s 2901A3U- 8GB, Intel 6300 WiFi, Crucial m4 256GB w/ mSATA>microSATA adapter
T420s 4174PPU- 16GB, Intel 520 180GB, Crucial M550 512GB mSATA, Intel 6300 WiFi
and a stack of classics in storage

mariol90
Freshman Member

Re: Digitally signed driver problems

#3 Post by mariol90 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:15 am

when I called for vista discs for a T400 type 2767, they sent me discs for a T400s (same with XP discs for my W500). maybe they have tons of extra T400s recovery discs. all the drivers are there regardless.

the T400 with the problem is type 6475, and the build date is nov. 2009. i have another T400, same type, build date dec. 2009 and they worked fine with that computer. lenovo update did not fix it either and made the problem worse. i'll try installing vista again, then XP and see what happens.

edit: XP installed fine (but the DVD burner won't read the first disc at all so i had to use a different drive?), vista had an error and once it rebooted, the computer froze at the ThinkPad screen. i let it continue and now it says "Windows could not parse or process the unattended answer file for pass [specialize]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup]."

lenovo said they'll send me new vista business discs to see if that's the problem (it's probably not but oh well).
they also said to change the SATA setting in the BIOS to "Compatibility". vista installed properly, and i'm updating it at the moment to see if it's all good.