thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:17 pm 
Sophomore Member

I am hesitating between two of the cheapest T520 I found.
My question really is about a comparison of the two processors in the machines. One has I3 2330 M, the better one has i5 2430

. http://interlink.tsbohemia.cz/lenovo-th ... 33026.html

processor intel core I3 2330 M, only 2G rAM would have to double it, but that is cheap
, about 700 USD

next cheapest, has i5 2430 processor, and 4G RAm, that is enough for me
http://interlink.tsbohemia.cz/lenovo-th ... 33027.html, about 830 USD

I would use my SSD harddrive in both cases.

What do you think about the price /performance ratio of the two, is there a sizeable increase in visible performance between them? the cheaper one is the best for the buck, but the more expensive one seems to be cca 30% extra on most benchmarks. the i5 has the Turbo feature, should I be bothered by that, is that a spec worth payiing extra for? i gather it means the processor can sort of overclock itself?

- Would I get a lot of extra performance FROM THE HIGHER SPECCED MODEL with i5 2430?
performance that would be noticeble when , once in a quarter year, maybe backing up a DVD disc, or burning a DVD, or watching a movie? thanks

The basic question is, , the cheaper one would probably be ok for 90% of what I use the PC for, but I am worried to buy something so low specced that it almost isnt a Thinkpad. And also, its an investment for a few years, so it would make sense to leave a bit of future proofness into the purchase.
But, the cheaper one really is cheap.
I have looked at the notebookcheck.net performance table.
I basically wonder if the model range has a real jump between i3 and i5, should I worry about the absence of the Turbo feature in the former one?

Any comment on the choice welcome.
For the main intended use, which is work, translation, use of Computer aided translation, office applications, I gather I would not be constrained by the performance of the lower specced one.

Admin note: Moved from R400/R500 forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:04 am 
Freshman Member

At you position i'll pay more to get better cpu. but for your usage I3 also will be great. Better look for LCD, bigger resolution is a must to have.

-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:25 am 
Sophomore Member

:D Monck cool signature.... Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła!