Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Unresponsive Keys and wifi problems (unrelated)

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
JoshuaR

Unresponsive Keys and wifi problems (unrelated)

#1 Post by JoshuaR » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm having a weird problem with my Thinkpad T410 (Windows 7 Professional 64bit). Often, my volume and mute keys become unresponsive. I have to use the cursor to control the volume and muting in the action center area at the bottom right. After I do that, the keys are responsive again. Any ideas?

---
Unrelated to the above, I'm having difficulty with getting a strong wireless connection with both this Thinkpad and my girlfriend's new Thinkpad (T510). It's extremely slow (under 0.5Mbps), whereas connected with the hard line it's around 22Mbps. Oddly enough, my girlfriend's old Mac, about 6 years old, is having no trouble reaching speeds above 20Mbps, so it's something to do with our Thinkpads, or the router? She also had a Dell Inspiron on its last legs before it finally died and we got her the Thinkpad.That was also reaching speeds of 19-21 wireless. Finally, my iPhone3GS is slower on wireless than on 3G, so it seems the only computers that work well with our wireless are old computers, but apparently not semi-old iPhones. My computer gets wireless fine everywhere else. I'm currently on vacation and this house is giving me download speeds of around 16Mbps.

The wireless router is a Netgear WNR834M Wireless Router.
Other details:
the router is on Channel 6. (I've switched to other channels and see no improvement)
---Of Channels 01-11
The mode is 11b/g/Next(20-40 MHz)
---And the other option for Mode is just 11b/g

I have an 11b/g/n Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter II
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Driver Date: 3/9/2010
Driver Version: 2013.0.309.2010

I don't see an upgrade to that. I believe I have the latest version.

Any help is extremely appreciated! Even if it's just that I need a new wireless router. Thanks.

JoshuaR

Re: Unresponsive Keys and wifi problems (unrelated)

#2 Post by JoshuaR » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:50 pm

Anyone have any thoughts for either problem? The WiFi is the more annoying. Thanks!

mixz1
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by mixz1 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:00 am

Keys:Have you tried System Update to determine if you have the latest drivers for HotKeys, On Screen Display, etc?

Wireless: I think you've answered your own question. If you're achieving better speeds at alternate locations your router at home seems to be the culprit. It's an old router, I think dating back to 2006 or 2007. There is a firmware update available from Netgear at http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2618 but you always run a risk when upgrading firmware.

I would think that since you connect at satisfactory speeds elsewhere it's time to change out the router at home.
T440p Win 10 Pro 8 gig memory 500 GB ssd
T520 W7 Pro 8 GB memory
A31/p XP Pro 1 GB memory
A30/p XP Pro 1 GB memory
TP600 Win 2K 288 mb memory
701C Win 98 Don't ask

JoshuaR

#4 Post by JoshuaR » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:45 pm

This was indeed the problem. Thank you. After buying a new router, the wireless speeds have been great on my thinkpad and phone. Glad it was a simple fix, though I wanted to get others' opinion before purchasing a new router if that wasn't going to do anything.