Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

L412 random sleep

SL300/SL400/SL500, L400-L420 and L500-L520 Series
kge420
Sophomore Member

L412 random sleep

#1 Post by kge420 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 am

My L412 has a problem where it goes to sleep randomly. I will be working or watching a video and it will just shut itself down. Upon resume it returns to it's previous state with no loss of data. This is quite scary when working on an involved project. The issue doesn't seem to be heat related because the unit sleeps as opposed to shutting down. Are there any crash logs stored on this machine? I have tried numerous power settings and the issue follows the change. Thank you, Keith
T40p- 60gb ssd, 2gb ram,2.0gHz Dothan, Win XPpro
X41t- 40gb hdd, 2gb ram, 1.6gHz, Android 4.0.3 ICS
L412- i3, 256gb SSD, 8gb ram, Win7 x64
760C - cmos battery code issues

ausmike

Re: L412 random sleep

#2 Post by ausmike » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Keith;
not sure if you have any HARDWARE issues ,,,,,,
but you can try these steps
a) Un -Install Power manager ( delete any directoty items left over after reboot)
b) Un Install Hot KEY and ACCESS CONNECTION ( remove any directory items after reboot)
c) update BIOS ( reboot and MUST SAVE when reboot by pressing F10 )
d) Download NEW VERSION of
ACCESS CONNECTIONS
HOT KEY
POWER MANAGER ( check for correct OS (x32 or x64))

(sorry if thats wrong steps ,,,,, not sure which order they need to be installed ....... please check the NOTES and REWAD ME notes for that - howevcer you need to Uninstall all 3 of them and RE DOIWNLOAD and Install them fresh ! ))

Hope this works for you
Cheers
Work: None - Retired ! Yipee!! ~~Older/Hm use:Asus Zenbook i7FHD~~ w701ds CTO;W520cto;T61P-IPSmodels; T43P,...&700Tstill going strong!! DEC Alpha Series OS: Win7x64; OSX; SuSe Linux; RedHat~~

TTY

Re: L412 random sleep

#3 Post by TTY » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Windows has a sort of event log, but i'm not sure about its English name. On Vista, you reach it by clicking Start>All programs>Administration or Management or similar>Event Log or whatever it's called in English. In Windows 7, the path might be slightly different. When you have it up and running, you click "Windows protocols" and then "System". If you don't find anything there, check "Applications".

As ausmike wrote, update BIOS. Run Windows Update, upgrade to Microsoft Update, make it search for updates and install them. When you have installed updates and re-booted, have it search for updates again. You can use Lenovo's ThinkVantage System Update to check for driver updates. Don't update BIOS and applications/drivers simultaneously with System Update. Keep your browsers up to date. It's also a good idea to keep the Adobe Flash player up to date, there are two versions - one for IE and one for the other browsers. Also get the latest version of java runtime environment.