Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Broken R400 screen -- where to find a cheap replacement ?

R400/R500 Series
rzl

Broken R400 screen -- where to find a cheap replacement ?

#1 Post by rzl » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Hello there!

As of subject: i recently refurbished a ThinkPad R400 from a friend of mine who was throwing it away.

The screen is not working: i tried replacing the inverter but i think the lamp is broken: when the inverter is replaced, it will only hold level 1 or 2 in screen brightness (out of 14). Then it will emit some strange sound (like a bzzz bzzz bzzz), and shut down. Also, a little smoke will show, and bas smell of burnt plastic.

Do you guys confirm it's the backlight broken? The old inverter shows no sign of burnage whatsoever.

In case the backlight is broken, where can i find a cheap replacement for the lcd panel?

LCD panel and backlight are one only thing, right ?

Thanks in advance,
--
Rzl

bretahrnek
Freshman Member

Re: Broken R400 screen -- where to find a cheap replacement ?

#2 Post by bretahrnek » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:38 am

rzl wrote:Hello there!

As of subject: i recently refurbished a ThinkPad R400 from a friend of mine who was throwing it away.

The screen is not working: i tried replacing the inverter but i think the lamp is broken: when the inverter is replaced, it will only hold level 1 or 2 in screen brightness (out of 14). Then it will emit some strange sound (like a bzzz bzzz bzzz), and shut down. Also, a little smoke will show, and bas smell of burnt plastic.

Do you guys confirm it's the backlight broken? The old inverter shows no sign of burnage whatsoever.

In case the backlight is broken, where can i find a cheap replacement for the lcd panel?

LCD panel and backlight are one only thing, right ?

Thanks in advance,
--
Rzl
Hi,
if it's backlite then You don't really have tu search for new screen or inverter either.
It's small smd fuse on planar next to lcd connector, think its labeled F19 or something like that.
Just to avoid that next time, completely discharge laptop before you start working on it;)
mainly in use : X201.i5.8GB.**AFFS**.120GBVertex4.Intel6300.GOBI2000.NMD.Ultrabase.w7Pro64
other : T410s.i5.8GB.120GBVertex4.Intel6300.GOBI2000.NMD.w7Pro64
others : X60 | T43p.UXGA.sata | 600e | X300 | T61p
ex : Edge.11 | T60.UXGA.T9500