thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:16 pm 
Freshman Member

I seem to be having these with my R400 (7443-CTO; P8400, 3gb, 160gb, 9-cell, WXGA+, windows Vista 32-bit). I close the lid, and it goes into sleep. when I open the lid again, the little icon shows it's not sleeping anymore, but the screen does not turn back on. Pressing any key (including the FN key), moving a mouse, or closing and reopening it will not make the screen turn on. The only way is to hold down the power button until it shuts off, and then turn it on again.

I currently do not have a screensaver on (I've heard it may affect waking up), and I've installed the patch to improve USB device detection.

Is there anything else I should try?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:23 pm 

I have a similar issue that I was just gonna post about.

R400/7443-CTO. Slightly different specs: P8600, 2gb/160gb 6-cell, standard WXGA, Vista 32-bit Home Basic. Received sometime in May. Updated the BIOS to 3.00 (rel 6-May-09), it shipped with 2.12.

I actually encountered the issue two ways:
(1) I started with a blank slate - a separate hdd with my own XP sp3 load (with the most current drivers). Encountered the suspend/resume issue (cannot wake - hears the system respond BUT not wake, and the "moon" icon stays lit the entire time). Hibernate works though. Was not able to resolve it, so decided to give the OEM Vista load a try
(2) OEM Vista Home Basic 32bit - dead stock - same result - once it goes into suspend, it cannot wake.

Not sure what's up. Initially I thought there was something that I overlooked in my own XP load, but it appears the machine has the same issue with the OEM vista load.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:14 am 

My T400 has similar problem. With Vista business, when I put my thinkpad to sleep (either via the Fn +F4 or setting to sleep with lid close), it's can't wake up. It didn't show the HD light blinking as it should be. Any suggestions to solve this problem?
Regards.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:05 pm 

I have yet to take this up with Lenovo warranty support, but I'm suspecting a hardware issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:12 am 

Is the behavior reproducible - i.e., does it happen every time?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:08 am 
Freshman Member

Not every time; In fact, for me, it's quite rare now. Maybe something in System Update fixed it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:03 pm 

I too have this problem. I've tried everything that I could to fix this, from disabling hibernation to using the latest BIOS updates.

I know that the system is awake, the screen doesn't activate. I can use the Fn keys to turn on the keyboard light.

Glad to hear that it's not just me.

edit: Whoops, didn't notice that this was R400. I have a T400 and same problem!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:05 am 

Issue has been fixed by Lenovo under warranty. Ultimately they fixed it by replacing the system board. (Note their first attempt at re-imaging/replacing the HDD did not solve the issue, so don't waste your time trying that route). FWIW the new system board came with an earlier BIOS version (I don't know off the top of my head; it was way old, might have been 1.18).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:41 pm 

Just to update, My T400 has this case and I've sent it to the service center. After a few days of trying to change several parts in order to find out the cause of problem. The technician came to the cause of the problem is the Ram. I didn't use Lenovo's part. I used Hynix Ram 2GB x 2 . The technician tried to swap ram and had come to the solution. So just the idea for others to check out whether change ram would solve the problem. In my case it does. :bow: :bow: :thumbs-UP: :thumbs-UP:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:00 pm 

I also had this problem on R500. I have found that setting a screen saver (as Ryan_C indicated in the first post) has resolved the issue.

R500 Win7 64 bit