thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: W520 & SSD SATA III
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:09 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Chicago. Illinois
I want to put in an SSD into my W520.

Will it handle SATA III or should I stick with SATA II?

Also, what brands of SSDs do you recommend?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: W520 & SSD SATA III
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:58 am 
Offline
Freshman Member

Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:13 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Your 2.5" drive bay should be SATA III. From what I understand (I might be wrong on this), the ODD bay should also be SATA III.

You'll definitely see a nice boost in performance with a SATA III drive over a SATA II. If your vendor of choice has a SATA III drive that has been reviewed well, I'd say go for it.

Me personally, I am going with a 512gb Crucial M4 SSD (SATA III) to replace the 500gb drive that will be in the W520 that I will order later this week.

_________________
600X (2645-9WU), X41 Tablet (1866-6SU), W520 (4270-CTO)

Yes, I have been jaded by (purported) technocrats. Almost as jaded by the tech itself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: W520 & SSD SATA III
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:09 am
Posts: 42
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
I'm also considering either the 240GB Patriot Pyro SE or 256GB Samsung 830 SATA III SSDs for my W520. Good luck with your upgrade.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: W520 & SSD SATA III
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:02 am 
Offline
Sophomore Member

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:14 pm
Posts: 202
Location: Biarritz, France
http://www.storagereview.com/lenovo_thi ... 520_review

http://www.storagereview.com/lenovo_thi ... rade_guide

_________________
- IBM T60p/1,83 M/RAM:3 Gb/15' SXGA+ IPS Ati Fire GL V5250 256Mo /SSD Intel X25 E 32 GB /XP Pro
- HP 8740w - Core i5 540M 2.53 GHz - 17" LED WVA TFT 1920 x 1200 ( WUXGA ) NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M 1 GB GDDR3 SDRAM- 128 GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: W520 & SSD SATA III
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:38 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator

Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 1:33 pm
Posts: 4176
Location: Minnesota
The real benefit of a SSD for most uses is the near instantaneous seek times, not the throughput. That won't change going from SATA II to III as they're all .1ms. Only things that put a heavy load on the controller like copying and pasting are likely to benefit from the move to SATA III. Typical notebook usage does not put a heavy load on the controller.

I might suggest if you're not using WWAN, picking up a mSATA SSD. A mSATA SSD is a small SSD that plugs into the miniPCI slot on the motherboard. Once installed it's seen as another hard drive. The benefit of this arrangement is you can install the OS on the mSATA for speed and keep the platter drive in the main bay for storage where speed is not as important. I have this setup on my X220i. It's quite slick and much more cost effective than a 512GB SSD.

_________________
Latitude 14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: W520 & SSD SATA III
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 pm 
Offline
Freshman Member

Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:13 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Garden Grove, CA
ZaZ wrote:
The real benefit of a SSD for most uses is the near instantaneous seek times, not the throughput. That won't change going from SATA II to III as they're all .1ms. Only things that put a heavy load on the controller like copying and pasting are likely to benefit from the move to SATA III. Typical notebook usage does not put a heavy load on the controller.

I might suggest if you're not using WWAN, picking up a mSATA SSD. A mSATA SSD is a small SSD that plugs into the miniPCI slot on the motherboard. Once installed it's seen as another hard drive. The benefit of this arrangement is you can install the OS on the mSATA for speed and keep the platter drive in the main bay for storage where speed is not as important. I have this setup on my X220i. It's quite slick and much more cost effective than a 512GB SSD.


I was originally going to put an Intel 320 80GB mSATA card in and keep the 500gb spinning disk, but I decided to just make things simple and just replace the spinning disk (to be used as an UltraBay backup drive) with the M4 512GB.

Cost isn't a concern right now...

_________________
600X (2645-9WU), X41 Tablet (1866-6SU), W520 (4270-CTO)

Yes, I have been jaded by (purported) technocrats. Almost as jaded by the tech itself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: W520 & SSD SATA III
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:09 am
Posts: 42
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Well, cost is a concern for me - Lol! I just ordered my 256GB Samsung 830 from Newegg on sale for $299.99!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: W520 & SSD SATA III
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:35 pm 
Offline
Sophomore Member

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:38 pm
Posts: 159
Location: Vancouver, Canada
http302 wrote:
I was originally going to put an Intel 320 80GB mSATA card in and keep the 500gb spinning disk, but I decided to just make things simple and just replace the spinning disk (to be used as an UltraBay backup drive) with the M4 512GB.

Cost isn't a concern right now...

If cost if no option you should still get a 128gb msata for your OS. Let me tell you why.
If you have your OS and Work drive on the same disk your 512ssd, you run into the problem of bottleneck if you try to massive read and write on the same disk. With your OS on a msata you open up the bandwith for your work drive and cause non of your software and OS will ever need to run off the work drive.
This way you get 250mb r/w on your OS drive.
And 500mb r/w on your work drive.
So in the end you should buy both the 512 ssd, and a 128gb msata.

_________________
Thinkpad W520 | Intel i7 2.5 XM | 1920x1080 FHD 95% Gamut | 32 GB DDR3 | 128GB MyDigitalSSD mSATA SSD | 2GB NVIDIA QUADRO 2000M | UEFI WIN 7


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: W520 & SSD SATA III
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:40 am 
Offline
Freshman Member

Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:13 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Kaze22 wrote:
If cost if no option you should still get a 128gb msata for your OS. Let me tell you why.
If you have your OS and Work drive on the same disk your 512ssd, you run into the problem of bottleneck if you try to massive read and write on the same disk. With your OS on a msata you open up the bandwith for your work drive and cause non of your software and OS will ever need to run off the work drive.
This way you get 250mb r/w on your OS drive.
And 500mb r/w on your work drive.
So in the end you should buy both the 512 ssd, and a 128gb msata.

Thank you for for the post, but honestly, the mSATA interface is a greater bottleneck than just running everything on a 2.5" SSD. Also, if you're constantly pushing 250+MB/s on your drives, you don't need a laptop, you need a server with an attached SAN.

Yes, cost was not a limiting factor in the build of this laptop. That being said, I'm not going to spend money on something that most likely will offer no perceivable benefit.

The setup I have is plenty fast for what I need. *shrugs* This isn't my first computer configuration rodeo.

_________________
600X (2645-9WU), X41 Tablet (1866-6SU), W520 (4270-CTO)

Yes, I have been jaded by (purported) technocrats. Almost as jaded by the tech itself.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group