Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

W510 wont's start - power on but screen blank + warranty?

W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series
pinkymadam

W510 wont's start - power on but screen blank + warranty?

#1 Post by pinkymadam » Sat May 12, 2012 9:12 am

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a problem I'm having with my W510.

It powers on in that the power button light up and so does the battery indicator. I get 3 beeps (1long, 2 short = System board failure, Video adapter problem or LCD assembly failure according to a beep code guide).
The screen is always blank. I can't hear the fan like I used to, although I can hear some activity.
The fingerprint reader works fine - it recognises me and can power on.

I've charged the battery and have tried it with just the power cable. I've tried removing and reinserting the hard drive and the same with the RAM, but nothing's changed. I can't disassemble further...

Because one of the screws has stripped quite badly (cosmetically a bit ugly round there too, because I've been prodding), I can't disassemble. This is the one inside the memory bay, under the lid. I'm going to use some metal epoxy to fix a screwdriver onto it tonight to try and remove it.

Do you think there'll be a issue with the warranty?
In my opinion, this is their fault. I've replaced the keyboard twice (under warranty) and was also asked to try to reseat my palm rest to fix some annoying creaking (again, by Lenovo - they sent me a video guide). Each time I've removed and replaced these screws. They know the screws are not durable but they did not send any with the keyboards (and spare parts have an extortionately high flat shipping/carriage charge where I am).
Another thing is that the I'm veyr confident the USB3 ports are faulty, but they asked me send the unit in and I haven't been able to spare it, so I haven't.

ausmike

Re: W510 wont's start - power on but screen blank + warranty?

#2 Post by ausmike » Sat May 12, 2012 4:18 pm

I would send to depot for REPAIR
with all those cases clearly noted (first call tech support and tell them those items and ask them to list each item seperatly as an issue in ONE TICKET))
then ask them to send the machine for Depot repair - if you still have warranty , it be totally free and they would raplce all or any screws etc missing stripped etc. You can verify if your machine is under warranty @lenovo website ( SUpport , and CHeck warranty status )

I would worry about getting things at house since you have those huge shipping costs

Cheers
Work: None - Retired ! Yipee!! ~~Older/Hm use:Asus Zenbook i7FHD~~ w701ds CTO;W520cto;T61P-IPSmodels; T43P,...&700Tstill going strong!! DEC Alpha Series OS: Win7x64; OSX; SuSe Linux; RedHat~~