Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Looking for advice to undervolt W500

W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series
ibrazhko
Freshman Member

Looking for advice to undervolt W500

#1 Post by ibrazhko » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:49 am

I have a W500 and I am considering to try undervolting it. I usually prefer to not mess around with the way the manufacturer (Intel) intended things to be, but I've heard that undervolting can actually have some significant benefits (like better battery life and less heat), so I probably will give it a shot.

However, I've never done anything like this before and have very limited knowledge on the subject. Could anyone with positive experience please advice on the following?

1. Which program should I use? Throttlestop? RMClock? Intel XTU?
2. Are there any downsides or limitations of undervolting? E.g. the system can become less stable and turn off under heavy load.
3. Can it damage the hardware? I mean, my W500 being a 15-year old machine needs to be handled with care, so I don't want to mess around and decrease it's life expectancy
4. I've heard that programs like Throttlestop don't work if the laptop has been resumed from sleep or hibernation, and so you need to restart your device to make the settings work again. Is this true?
5. Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Gonzaleitor
Sophomore Member

Re: Looking for advice to undervolt W500

#2 Post by Gonzaleitor » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:50 pm

Hi Ibrazhko! I use Intel XTU to undervolt. You need yo find a version that is compatible with your OS and CPU. You can look up the parameters for your CPU online from people that already tested it and you shouldn't have no problem.
With undervolt You shoud expect a drop of around 6-10° C in your CPU temp with no performance loss.