thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:11 pm 

I have a z61t with the titanium lid. I want to upgrade to the wxga+ screen, it just has the normal 1280x800 screen right now.

I bought a LG 27r2449 screen that thinkwiki listed was a screen used in z61t. When I went to install it, it was about 1/4 inch too large and wouldn't fit. I did plug it in to test it and it worked properly. I assumed I must have got the wrong part so I bought a samsung 13n7108 which also is listed as a compatible part. Same thing its physically to big to fit.

Don't understand what I'm doing wrong here. I checked the service manual and it doesn't show the 61t as using different screen bezel or hinges between the two screen resolutions. I'm about to give up and just buy another laptop at this point because I can't stand this low resolution screen, and have been throwing money away buying parts that don't fit.

Any help is much appreciated!

BTW incase anyone wants to know the LG screen seemed to have a better picture then the samsung I tried.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:32 pm 
Freshman Member

is it 1/4 inch too tall? the 1280x768 screens are physically smaller than the 1280x800 and 1440x900 screens (14.0" vs 14.1"), but since you have a 1280x800 screen that shouldn't be a problem...
i'm not sure if 1280x768 is just for the z60t, but the three i've had all have that resolution and they are all smaller than the Z61t screen.

your bezel should look like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-Z61t ... 1330wt_952
this one will only fit 14.0" screens: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-LENOVO-THIN ... _801wt_952
and you can see the top area is slightly larger on the one that goes with the 14.0" screens.

these are assumptions but i'm 99% sure. i wanted to try something similar but realized the screens were physically different sizes.

the samsung screen you have is the correct one, it matches mine. so i'd assume the LG is good too, and that it's just the bezel sizes that are the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:03 pm 

Found the problem. Mariol90 you were correct.
I had a 14.0" inch screen in my z61t, not a 14.1". I didn't think there was a difference between the two, but every part is different I found out the hard way.

I ended up buying an entire new screen assembly that is 14.1", and installed my brand new Philips LCD in it.

It was so worth it! The 1440 is so much better looking, and my screen is super bright now with a better viewing angle. :D