Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Help needed, R40e blowing PSU's since upgrade to XP from 2k

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
lentil

Help needed, R40e blowing PSU's since upgrade to XP from 2k

#1 Post by lentil » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:22 am

I am totally mystified

I have a friends IBM Thinkpad R40e laptop, it had a XP pro license key on it but had 2000 installed. So I thought an upgrade to XP would be no problem ... big mistake.

Running with the mains plugged in I installed XP pro, validated the license key AOk and though I was home and dry. Then noticed the battery was running low ???, the PSU had blown, no 12v on the output jack. OK so I reasoned it had been doing a lot of HDD access and CDROM access, maybe it was on its way out when I started the install and the extra load killed it off.

So I bought a replacement, plugged it in, great, battery charging AOK, started doing the insane number of XP updates to bring the install up to date, noticed the battery said it would need 1:30 to charge but seemed to be charging quicker that than that, the charge bar was moving quicker than expected but that could have been just my perception, anyhow left it to it.

Came back up, new PSU blown !!!

OK any ideas anyone ?, can a dodgy laptop battery kill PSU's ? I would have assumed that the charging circuits would have regulated the charging to avoid this, is it a driver issue ? it appeared AOK with 2000 ?

I am totally lost, any ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated

Cheers

Lentil

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Help needed, R40e blowing PSU's since upgrade to XP from 2k

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:21 am

More likely it's a dodgy, wrong charger.
R40e machines need an IBM 16V/72W/4.5A charger, nothing else!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)