Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad R51 - No Ethernet Adapter

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
Tom9489

Thinkpad R51 - No Ethernet Adapter

#1 Post by Tom9489 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:06 pm

I am in the process of re-loading all my software for my Thinkpad R51 on a new hard drive. My problem is that after loading Windows XP Pro, I don't see any Ethernet Adapter. There is no Ethernet Adapter under Network Adapters. Instead I have the big yellow question mark which lists the Ethernet Adapter below.

I have tried downloading the driver from the Lenovo site to a jump drive, but the driver comes back saying that no device has been found for this driver.

I have checked the BIOS to see if there is anything I need to turn on with no luck.

When I put my original hard drive back in, the Ethernet Adapter shows up and works properly.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get the Ethernet Adapter workng?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Thinkpad R51 - No Ethernet Adapter

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:23 pm

When you D/L the ethernet driver and double-click on it, it will only extract to c:\drivers\something...
Make a note of this \something..., go there then click on the setup.exe you find there. That will install the driver.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Tom9489

Re: Thinkpad R51 - No Ethernet Adapter

#3 Post by Tom9489 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:18 am

Problem solved! That \something was really convoluted: C:\DRIVERS\Win\ETHERNET\APPS\PROSETDX\Win32\DXSETUP. Now I can get on the Internet and D/L all of the other drivers I need. Many thanks!