Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

R60 Audio

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
Rincewindwiz

R60 Audio

#1 Post by Rincewindwiz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:30 am

Hi
I am struggling to make the microphone work properly under Windows 7 and will post the W7 specifics in he appropriate firum. However, I wondered, does the R60 have an internal microphone or not. I'd assumed all PCs have a mic but Im beginnig to wonder. IF so, where is it located?
TFAI
(PS I cant get sound to work with en external mic either!!)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: R60 Audio

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 am

On the mobo, the mic (round black blob) sits to the right of the LH side USB port.
You should see two small slits near the upper left corner of the palmrest, under between the Fn/Ctrl keys.
The mic port is the red round one on the left.
Make sure to install the Intel chipset drivers.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Rincewindwiz

Re: R60 Audio

#3 Post by Rincewindwiz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:02 pm

Ah yes - obvious once you know where it is. Thanks

AFAIK, I have the correct and latest drivers
I have just (since first posting) rolled back to the official Lenovo Soundmax driver (6.10.1.5500, July 2007) and that does at least cause the internal mic to make the bars on the sound->recording tab move. However there is no change in the volume from either the internal or external mics.

Since you mentioned it, I thought I would update the chipset drivers to the latest W7 from the Lenovo site - just in case.

Rebooted on principle.

No change!! :-(
if I tap the internal mic, the bars (sound->recording) get ot the second bar up
With the external mic tapping to the same degree puts the bars off the top of the scale but neither produce audible sound if I try to record in voice recorder.

I have another (sucker for punishment!!) W7 laptop and that shows 2 mics in sounds->recording one labeled default communications device and one which changes if the external mic is plugged in or not.

As this second mic is not available in hte problem laptop, I worry that W7 is not recognizing the internal or external mics properly??

How would I tell?
What can I try next?
TFAI

Or should I kick this over to the W7 forum?