Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad R51 wont boot, lights, fan, no display on occassion

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
jerry12

ThinkPad R51 wont boot, lights, fan, no display on occassion

#1 Post by jerry12 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:54 pm

I have an IBM ThinkPad R51 '1831 au2' that I started to use the day before yesterday after having it stored for a long while. The battery only kept charge for 5 to 8 minutes since I bought it on eBay in 2008-2009. Has worked flawlessly and I even was able to upgrade the hard disk drive with the following, as I was having trouble with the original:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136130

I have always run the computer from the power adapter plugged into the wall. When I boot up the computer with the battery plugged in and the adapter connected to the wall receptical outlet, I get the following problems:

Display does not light.
Battery charge indicator is amber then turns green.
Hard disk light turns on. and Fan throws air through the vent.
I cannot hear the hard disk drive.

Then after pressing the power button for a few seconds, lights turn off. laptop appears to be shut off.

I noticed that when I disconnected the battery and I pressed the power button for 30 seconds, then reconnected the battery and let it charge for a little while... that the computer would boot from the battery without the power plugged in with display on, and reach the Windows XP login screen, then would shut off after a short period when the charge in the battery was empty. This worked twice. First by accident I found this out, then second time I tried repeating what I did, but since I have not been able to repeat it.

I am thinking that I need to buy a new battery and let it charge, and also, maybe buy a new power adapter for the laptop. I think I can find both for about 30 dollars on eBay or maybe a little more.

Note, There are compatible power adapters for this model of the ThinkPad on eBay and the batteries, too, that I have found.

any help is kindly appreciated, sincerely Jerry

PS if you need more information would be glad to post

Note: could this have anything to do with the CMOS battery

Also, can I boot the laptop without the battery plugged in to the laptop.

And as well, I would like to mention, I like this laptop and would not like to part with it... if it is to complex or exspensive to repair, then I may have to, though.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: ThinkPad R51 wont boot, lights, fan, no display on occassion

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 pm

I'd start with re-seating the RAM.

Test the machine with an external monitor and see whether it dies along with the LCD or stays on.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

jerry12

#3 Post by jerry12 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Would like to try, but I am affraid a bit to open up and remove the RAM. Testing the VGA port, though, seems like an interesting idea, but I need to get a VGA cable for my LCD TV which has a VGA port. I don't have a VGA monitor anymore, though.

Because I I may need to make an expense either way, I think I will try and get a new battery, for about 25.00 dlls.

I the problem is with the CMOS battery, though the computer should boot anyhow, even if the CMOS battery isn't working, if just to the IBM splash screen, or at least to where the LCD lights just a bit.

Ok, will tell you what happens. may be a while before I can order a battery.

Sincerely thanks for your input.

Jerry

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Don't waste your money on a battery now...

You likely have motherboard and/or CCFL issues, and determining what's what would be the way to go before dumping any additional funds in a laptop that might need major work...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.