Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

R61i battery problem

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
rata

R61i battery problem

#1 Post by rata » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi,
I have the thinkpad r61i symodel with 4cell baterry.
I bought another battery - a 6 cell replaceable model.
Before the first use I charged it for 10 haours, rechargeit and charge it agina.
I could use my my 4cell battery for 1.5-2 hours
The 6 cell battery is empty after 1 hour of use. I have already replaced the battery with new one and the problem was same.
I have chack the windows battery setting and its all OK.
the 6 cell battery is 4400 maH and the charger is 65W 20 V.
When I chare the battery, the charger is getting worm.
Can anyone have solotion tho this issue ?
TNX

jayton4

Re: R61i battery problem

#2 Post by jayton4 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:06 pm

Where did you buy the 6 cell battery? Is it Lenovo or aftermarket?
jayton4
Current models/upgrades:
T410 2518X01- 8GB, Corsair Force GT 120GB
T410s 2901A3U- 8GB, Intel 6300 WiFi, Crucial m4 256GB w/ mSATA>microSATA adapter
T420s 4174PPU- 16GB, Intel 520 180GB, Crucial M550 512GB mSATA, Intel 6300 WiFi
and a stack of classics in storage

rata

#3 Post by rata » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:50 am

jayton4 wrote:Where did you buy the 6 cell battery? Is it Lenovo or aftermarket?
Aftermarket

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:57 am

While using your 6-cell could you double-click on the battery icon on your taskbar then click on advanced>>Battery and then report back the 'full-charge capacity' and 'design capacity?' What are you doing while on battery also?
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor

rata

#5 Post by rata » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:38 pm

emeraldgirl08 wrote:While using your 6-cell could you double-click on the battery icon on your taskbar then click on advanced>>Battery and then report back the 'full-charge capacity' and 'design capacity?' What are you doing while on battery also?
hi,
I using win 7. can you guide me where should i find this information ?

I usually surfing the net while the batteryis working. somtimes I see movie.

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi rata.

1) Click on the green battery icon at the bottom right of your screen
2) Lenovo Power Manager should appear
3) If you have a plain interface with a slider control for "High Performance" that slides to "High Energy Savings" click on "Advanced" to the upper right of your Power Manager interface.
4) You now should have more options to choose from now. Click on the "Battery" tab.
5) Look down and you will see "Battery Details"
6) Scroll through the information and take note of the "Remaining Capacity," "Full Charge Capacity," "Manufacturer Name," "Cycle Count," and "Device Capacity."
7) Report the information you noted to this thread

The reason why I am asking is because there is always a possibility the aftermarket battery could be misrepresented. One more thing if you are using the laptop battery while watching a movie the battery will be used up faster than if you are typing an email. I would say that watching a video will reduce the operating time of a battery by ~40-45% Your battery run time is proportional of the current demands that are being placed on it. Video will require more resources than just typing a letter or minor web browsing.
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor

rata

#7 Post by rata » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:05 am

Hi,
I finally installed the lenovo battary interface (the green button icon).
This is the battery information:

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:02 am

There is something not quite right about your battery. It shows you have a cycle count of 2 yet your battery seems relatively anemic judging by the data from Power Manager. I have a 6-cell on my T400 which is about the same size as the 14" T/R61 series ThinkPads.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/34 ... sanyo.png/

That image is my battery that I got from fleabay. Not the most reliable place to buy a battery but it was cheap so I took a gamble and it has been working fine. I noticed your battery is charged to 100% The Power Manager has settings which you can set to start charging at X percent and stop at X percent. I have always heard that charging your battery to 100% is one way it will degrade faster. For that reason I set my Power Manager to start charging at 70% and to stop at 90% As I had typed earlier also if you watch movies on battery power you cannot expect it to last for an extended period of time. Your battery certainly has seen better days. Looking at the numbers it seems as if your battery might be faulty. If you are still within a reasonable time period form purchasing the battery to now then maybe you can write the seller and maybe work something out.

rata

#9 Post by rata » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:19 am

Hi emeraldgirl08,
thanks alot for your help.
I ckecked my 4 cells bat. this battery seemed to be more battery capacity then the 6 cells bat.
I bought a new one because the 4 cells battery does not stay more then half hour.
this is the 4 cell information:

the differnts is within the desing voltage and cycle count/ both of the batt are nor original.
maybe the lenovo power manager is best for tose batterys. I will check it again.
Is there ary setting i need to define the battery type?
Rata

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:21 am

Wow. Take a look at your cycle count on the 4-cell and tie that with the longer run time you mention. Now your 6-cell is supposed to be new yet is showing up as a yellow "fair" in the Power Manager with a miserable run time. I would say that the 6-cell is faulty. Have you contacted your seller? If not you should. If you need to send the seller the link for this topic and hopefully a replacement will be sent to you.
rata wrote:the differnts is within the desing voltage and cycle count/ both of the batt are nor original.
maybe the lenovo power manager is best for tose batterys.
Not quite sure what you are saying here. AFAIK the Lenovo Power Manager just takes data it reads from microchips that the batteries possess. It should not favor a particular type of battery but only reads information from the microchip contained in the battery housing. The microchips need to be there so your battery communicates with Lenovo Power Manager and in some cases does not explode!

jk :mrgreen:

Overcharging your battery AFAIK can lead to a faster deterioration of the cells. The Lenovo Power Manager is the reason we are able to see the manufacturer and the data regarding the battery operating variables. This is also the reason why we can program our batteries for 'start charging' and 'stop charging' thresholds also. The program does not have a human personality in that it likes this battery or somehow has developed a discerning taste :)

I did notice something about your 6-cell. Apparently it does not produce the warning about 'non-Lenovo' batteries. This is new to me if it is not an original. All the non-Lenovo batteries I have purchased in the past couple of years have produced the warning. Hope you get the battery returned and get one which produces a green 'Good' and nice statistics in the power manager. Please keep the power manager installed. It is a tool that AFAIK only exists on ThinkPads and is extremely beneficial.

Good luck :)

rata

#11 Post by rata » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:45 am

When capacity of the two batteries reaches to 50%, the computer shuts down immediately. Is this normal? May be required to set up something on the computer?
It seems a little wired that both batteries phenomenon occurs in the same situation.
Does anyone have an idea how to solve the problem?