Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

resurrecting an r50p

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
p1763

resurrecting an r50p

#1 Post by p1763 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:50 pm

hi,

several years ago i caught the flexview bug and decided to take the plunge--i bought an r50p off ebay with a bad m/b.

the model i bought was a 1832-22u, and the bad m/b had part number 93p3313.

after some research, i bought a 39t5492 m/b as a replacement, because it would 'drive' the uxga screen in the r50p.

my first question is, what thinkpads used the 39t5492 m/b?

anyway, i put the 39t5492 in the r50p chassis, put everything back together, but when i tried to boot it up, the screen stayed dark. after that, i assumed i had another bad m/b on my hands, and stuck the r50p on the shelf--this was sometime in 2011.

yesterday, i pulled the r50p off the shelf and after charging the battery hit the power button and, she booted to the black ibm thinkpad/intel inside pentium m/to interrupt normal startup screen! hell, when i hit the access ibm button, i got into the bios! then the problems started. when i just left the machine sit at the black ibm thinkpad/intel inside pentium m/to interrupt normal startup screen, in an attempt to go through the normal boot process, it sat there for quite a while (maybe a minute or more) and then displayed some stuff i wasn't ready to write down, and then the screen got fragmented and distorted, and i had to turn it off and when i pressed the power button, it beeped once and shut down. i let it sit a few minutes, and pressed power again, and this time it seemed to boot much quicker, and i was able to jot down the messages it was giving me:

intel (r) boot agent ge v1.2.17
intel (r) boot agent pxe base code (ba1217bc)
pxe e61: media test failure, check cable
pxe mof: exiting intel boot agent
os not found

this time the screen did not distort/fragment, and i was able to turn it off with the one beep as above.

rather than let it set another few years, i decided to post something here in the hope of receiving some guidance. what do you guys/gals think? does it sound like an inexpensive fix? i had hoped to install a light linux distro on it, and/or win xp pro (key sticker still on machine), but now i'm not sure what i'm up against again. maybe i had this same problem over two years ago before i shelved it, but the memory eludes me.

thanks in advance for any and all replies/help/guidance.

peace,

p1763

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: resurrecting an r50p

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:53 pm

p1763 wrote:hi,

after some research, i bought a 39t5492 m/b as a replacement, because it would 'drive' the uxga screen in the r50p.

my first question is, what thinkpads used the 39t5492 m/b?
That's a standard (non-p) R50 board with 32MB Radeon 9000 GPU.
it sat there for quite a while (maybe a minute or more) and then displayed some stuff i wasn't ready to write down, and then the screen got fragmented and distorted, and i had to turn it off and when i pressed the power button, it beeped once and shut down.
Bad GPU, SouthBridge or combination of the two. Major failure in the works, no matter how one goes about it.
i let it sit a few minutes, and pressed power again, and this time it seemed to boot much quicker, and i was able to jot down the messages it was giving me:

intel (r) boot agent ge v1.2.17
intel (r) boot agent pxe base code (ba1217bc)
pxe e61: media test failure, check cable
pxe mof: exiting intel boot agent
os not found

this time the screen did not distort/fragment, and i was able to turn it off with the one beep as above.
Do you have the HDD installed?
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.