Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

A20m weird sound issue

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
aggel321

A20m weird sound issue

#1 Post by aggel321 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:16 pm

Hello all,

I have bought an A20m and repaired it to working standard. I wanted an 'old' system to run 98SE/ME for all my ancient software I still have of the last 20+ years. Yes I am ooooold... 8)

Now the weird problem:

98SE

I can install my Safecom wireless card and connect to LAN/WAN no problem. The Crystal sound card is recognised in Device Manager. During boot I can hear the system sound when the network card is loaded via my loudspeakers. Also volume buttons working as I can hear the up/down beeps. However when I install the IBM Crystal drivers the card has an exclamation mark in Device Manager plus the wireless card does not start properly (constantly power up/down). Throughout all time the loudspeakers are emitting a crackling sound but nothing in Windows.

ME

The soundcard is installed automatically and recognised as working properly. I can install the Safecom card without any issues and it is working properly (compared to 98SE). So no issues on the driver side. However it is the same issue as in 98SE that absolutely NO other sounds than the system beeps are audible.

Now the question. Are the system beeps produced by the sound card or some other sound system on the planar? If by the soundcard why are on other sounds/music played? Has anyone else encountered the same problem and did you get it fixed?

Any help would be appreciated.

System: A20m, New used planar, 60GB new (old stock) Hitachi HDD, Intel 10/100 Modem Combo, P3 750MHz, 256MB original IBM Hynix, DVD ROM (will be replaced with GCC-4240N), Safecom 54125 Wireless, 14.1" LCD, dead battery (to be replaced soon).

Ta, Axel

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

Re: A20m weird sound issue

#2 Post by rkawakami » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:15 pm

Welcome to thinkpads.com!
aggel321 wrote:Now the question. Are the system beeps produced by the sound card or some other sound system on the planar?
Here's my take on this... mind you, it's based upon situational observation and not by trying to look at any schematics. The system beeps should not be coming through any type of "soundcard". By this, I mean hardware which requires some sort of driver in order to operate. Assuming that the speakers are connected properly, the system beeps can occur if there's a detected problem with the memory (missing or bad), failure of the backup (CMOS) battery causing a loss of system time or any other number of hardware problems even before DOS, nevermind Windows, is loaded.

Correcting the lack of sound under Windows can sometimes be done by double-clicking on the speaker icon in the System Tray and ensuring that the volume sliders for all input sources are mid-level or above and that they are not muted.
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.