thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:11 pm 

Hi all, i have a Thinkpad z61p 9452-3ng.

I would like to replace my old 100GB HDD with a new 500GB HDD, both are 2,5" SATA Seagate Momentus.
I have made a disk-to-disk image (cloned the drive) with Norton Ghost, but the system wont boot from the new drive.
After loading the BIOS stuff, i just get a blank screen and a reset. The drive is not encrypted.

I have never seen such a behavior after a drive clone. Ihave updated the BIOS, tried another drive (250GB SATA Toshiba), with the same result.

Any ideas what is happening?

Thanks for help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:56 pm 

You definitely need to select the Image Boot (IB) switch under options PRIOR to beginning the disk to disk clone (and boot from a memory stick, external hard disk, floppy or optical disk). Then it will work.

FYI, I usually disable the Predesktop Area option under Security in the BIOS before the cloning as well (don't forget to re-enable it after a successful clone).

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:18 pm 

Hi underclocker, thanks for your answer.

I am sorry, but i have no idea how to "select the Image Boot (IB) switch under options".
I did not find such menu in BIOS.
What is it, where can i find it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:31 pm 

Sorry for not being more clear. I use one of the more recent Norton Ghost corporate editions. I'm not sure if you're using the same or if the version you use has similar options or not. It's a switch under the options menu in Norton Ghost - Image Boot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:09 pm 

Ok, i see :) I have connected both drives, the old one and the new one, to my desktop pc where i have a "portable" version of some norton utilities including ghost. From there, i have selected make "disk - to disk". My second try was booting from a cd with norton ghost and one usb drive connected to the thinkpad. Both methods always produce an exact copy of the old drive to the new one, including boot sectors, active marked partitions and whitout any influence on the data on the hard drive. That's why i'm not sure, what change this image boot switch brings. But, disabling the predesktop area in bios, has for sure influence on the hidden recovery partition and therefore also on the entire disk image. I will try that and report back to you. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:26 pm 

I've easily Ghosted 500 ThinkPad disks, when I forget the IB switch, I get the blinking cursor. You need the Image Boot switch on (with Ghost).

If it didn't make a difference, the switch wouldn't exist!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:44 pm 

i agree with you :) ...just not completly sure about the function of this switch...

anyway, i have found this in the norton ghost manual:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_u ... _guide.pdf

"The image boot switch copies the entire boot track, including the boot sector, when creating a disk image file or copying disk-to-disk. Use this switch when installed applications, such as boot-time utilities, use the boot track to store information. By default, Norton Ghost copies only the boot sector, and does not copy the remainder of the boot track. You cannot perform partition-to-partition or partition-to-image functions
with the -ib switch."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:29 pm 

I have tryed the image boot option, without success. Disabling the Predesktop area also did not help.

I have tryed another option: "image disk", which makes a 1:1 image of every sector of the disk, even if it is empty.
After this, i could boot to windows from the imaged hard drive. But the Predesktop area (Rescue and Recovery) did not boot after i have pressed the blue ThinkVantage button during startup. So i had to reinstall RnR. Now works everything perfect.

Thanks again for your help.