thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
Legacy ThinkPad model driver and other support files will be mirrored here on thinkpads.com.
55 GB of files are being uploaded now.
More about this when support files are made available.

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:42 pm 
Sophomore Member

I thought I'd post this for anyone wanting to install a USB 2.0 card in a Thinkpad using Windows 98:

Apparently Windows 98 doesn't natively support USB 2.0. I used a flush-mount USB 2.0 PCMCIA card, the AKE BC168, which works perfectly in my X24 and A31p, both running XP. But when I inserted the card into the A22p, it would install a couple of the drivers, be unable to install the third, and the system would freeze. I would have to go into Safe Mode and remove all traces of the card, in order to be able to get the computer to start, otherwise there would be an endless cycle of IBM logo > Windows start screen.

In order to get it to work, I downloaded nusb33e.exe from the following link (since I'm using Second Edition):

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/k ... rivers.php

Once I downloaded it, I followed the instructions, plugged the card back in during the IBM splash screen while it was restarting, and it detected and automatically installed the drivers for the card. I just tested it, and it works perfectly, I can transfer files on a 4GB USB drive from my T61 to the A22p without any problem. MUCH faster than burning files to a CD-RW, which was how I was doing it before.

A30p 2653-65U *sold*
A31 2653-CU3 *sold*
A31 2652-M6U *sold*
A31p 2653-R8U *needs new screen*
X24 2662-MWU *OK*
X41t 1866-5GU *OK*
T43p 2668-N15 *OK*
T61 6465-CTO *workhorse*

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:58 am 
Freshman Member

Thanks. I'll try one of those cards on my other 'Pads since they are flush-mount.