Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Re: The "Titanium" cover on a "Z"

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
schen
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#1 Post by schen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:36 pm

I've just acquired one of my favorite ThinkPads, the Z61m, and this one is not really destined to be the typical "daily driver", but more of a "hanger queen". So, my mind is starting to fill up with all manner of ideas for it ranging from a high-end CPU, to possibly the Seagate "hybrid" XT hard drive.

This particular one has the "titanium" cover on it which I like, but would like to do something a little bit different. Therefore, I have some questions for anybody who'd like to weigh in:
* How it it attached? Any pointers on how to take it off....UNDAMAGED?
* What is it really made of? Titanium....really? or is it titanium colored aluminum?
* If indeed, it is titanium; can that be anodized?

You guys can probably tell, I'm a little excited about this project! :eek:
Family Daily Drivers- T450s, T540p
Work- Sadly, the ThinkPads have gone away...... and replaced by HP Chromebox drone machines :(
ThinkPad Projects- T530, T400, R60, Z60t
Historic Retired ThinkPads- Z61m (Titanium), X20, A31p, 701c, 760XD, WorkPad C505, C500 :bow:

underclocker

#2 Post by underclocker » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:06 pm

From TABOOK;
Case Material
Some: top cover: black color; Polycarbonate/Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (PC/ABS) plastic
Some: top cover: silver color; ABS, aluminum, titanium material
bottom: black color; Polycarbonate/Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (PC/ABS) plastic
It can certainly be painted (probably anodized, too?) --> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=91107

The absolute best thing about the Z60m/Z61m machines is that they are the easiest models to disassemble and reassemble. The LCD is by far the easiest. Three screw caps and three screws will remove the LCD bezel. The bezel is thick and strong, it's not easy to damage! The entire back cover comes off by removing about eight more screws and unhooking the ThinkLight. However, since the wifi antennas are attached to the cover and routed through the hinges, the entire assembly should be moved first. That's fairly easy, too.

Good luck and post up some pictures if you get artistic.
T510, i7-620m, NVidia, HD+, 8GB, 512GB Intel 545s SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Home
T400s, C2D SP9400, Intel 4500MHD, WXGA+, 8GB, 160GB Intel X18-M G2 SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Travel
Edge 14 i5-540m, Intel HD Graphics, HD, 8GB, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 SSD, Webcam, BT, red cover Music

schen
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#3 Post by schen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:21 am

Thanks for the lead. I checked with him, and although he removed the lid from the body of the machine, he didn't take the titanium cover off of the lid. Which is the part that makes me nervous. I sure don't want to bend that puppy up doing that! :eek: Those things are a little hard to find. And I really not too enthused at trying to have that thing powder-coated or anodized with the plastic part attached either.
Work- Sadly, the ThinkPads have gone away...... and replaced by HP Chromebox drone machines :(
Historic Retired ThinkPads- Z61m (Titanium), X20, A31p, 701c, 760XD, WorkPad C505, C500 :bow:

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#4 Post by Harryc » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:23 am

schen wrote: I really not too enthused at trying to have that thing powder-coated or anodized with the plastic part attached either.
I wouldn't think it would be possible to anodize a metal object with plastic attached.

sparta.rising

#5 Post by sparta.rising » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

The plastic didn't seem removable without damaging it. The paint has been wearing off. My suggestion would be just to clean off the old clear coat and reapply a matte clear coat. I did that to a second machine and was much happier with the final result.
Z61t - C2D 2GHz CPU - 3GB RAM - 320GB HDD - 14.1" WXGA+ - Intel 950 - Travel Bezel

ZAGNUT
Freshman Member

#6 Post by ZAGNUT » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:21 pm

while i have only played around with anodizing titanium many years ago it is dead simple compared to aluminum which i do a lot of.

all it involves is a weak acidic solution (lemon juice works good) and DC voltage. since no real heat is involved there should be no problem at all with the plastic parts. in fact, masking is often used to limit the finish to certain areas for creating art.

the really nice part is that the color is integral to the process and dependent on voltage. with some creative masking and variable voltage you can do just about anything you want.

so if the lid really is titanium and you're adventurous i say give it a try.
PMs requesting free beer shall be deleted!

sportfreak
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by sportfreak » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:50 am

i had a quick question regarding the titanium back for the z6X series .. are there specific models with the titanium lid ? i mean how would i know if its a titanium lid or a regular lid ?? is color the only thing ?
Thinkpad X61
Intel T8100, 6GB RAM, Ubuntu 11.04, 16GB SSD, X6 Ultra-base ( hell yeh .. )
Thinkpad R500
Intel T6750, 4GB RAM, 80GB 7200rpm, Win 7 Professional.
2 X Mac Mini, Apple Retina Mac Pro
Not getting any younger thinkpads:
Thinkpad R40 - RIP

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by dr_st » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:24 am

The Tabook lists which lid is present on which models. Unfortunately, the machine type/model lookup on Lenovo's site doesn't.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

schen
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#9 Post by schen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:34 pm

ZAGNUT wrote:while i have only played around with anodizing titanium many years ago it is dead simple compared to aluminum which i do a lot of.

all it involves is a weak acidic solution (lemon juice works good) and DC voltage. since no real heat is involved there should be no problem at all with the plastic parts. in fact, masking is often used to limit the finish to certain areas for creating art.

the really nice part is that the color is integral to the process and dependent on voltage. with some creative masking and variable voltage you can do just about anything you want.

Holy Smoke! :eek: I didn't go back and look at this thread until just now and didn't realize that somebody had come up with some ideas on anodizing! That's definitely worth looking into. No that I've got the ball rolling looking for a replacement LCD, this project is moving forward a little. Thanks :banana:

schen
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#10 Post by schen » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 pm

ZAGNUT wrote:while i have only played around with anodizing titanium many years ago it is dead simple compared to aluminum which i do a lot of.

OK, I'm now in possession of a "Ti" lid parted from a Z60m (which I believe is identical to the Z61m) with which to work. I'm not really that adventurous, so my intention is to find some place in the general Dallas area that does this professionally and have them do the anodizing....as long as they don't want too much for the work that is! I'd like to have it done a satin black, but really am now conflicted as what to do about the badge. If I'm not mistaken, it's also metal, so I guess I could let it be anodized as well, mask it and leave it a contrasting titanium, or go with the classic IBM tri-color look.

Any thoughts?

schen
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#11 Post by schen » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:19 am

Well, it's pretty discouraging after reading most of the evening about the process of anodizing and finding out that "black" can't be achieved by conventional means. Apparently only some jewelers do it on a regular basis and its, (no pun intended), kind of a "black art"!

Also, after further examination of the lid, it doesn't look like the plastic is designed to be separated easily from the metal, without some very real likelihood of damage. So, powder coating is out as well. It really looks like, I'm down to the old stand-by.....paint! :? Unless I want to give up and have a regular Ti lidded Z61m.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#12 Post by Harryc » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:37 am

schen wrote: Unless I want to give up and have a regular Ti lidded Z61m.
That's how the original designers envisioned it...can't be that bad of a thing ;).

schen
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#13 Post by schen » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:44 am

Harryc wrote:That's how the original designers envisioned it...can't be that bad of a thing ;).
Yeah, I know....and its not a "bad" thing. I have one with the Ti lid on it and it looks good. I was just looking to do something "interesting" that hadn't been done before (that I know of). Personally, I like the traditional ThinkPad black, but just thought that I could "spice it up" a little! :lol:

Oh well: Plan B I guess!