Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Proper order for clean install of Windows 7 x64?

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
tbessie
Sophomore Member

Proper order for clean install of Windows 7 x64?

#1 Post by tbessie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi all...

I've done tons of clean installs of Windows 7 x64, and finally am upgrading my T400 (from XP Pro).

I did a clean install of Windows 7 x64 from Microsoft installation media (this is pre-SP1). Worked fine.

Then installed all the Thinkpad drivers and software, which also went well.

When it came time to install all the Microsoft updates, I let the update process pick all the updates to be applied (some were not checked, as I've noticed happens lately), and let it do its thing. I started Microsoft Update over and over during this process to get the latest updates, as one would hope.

The thing that was weird about it this time is, Microsoft Update failed on several occasions (about 3 or 4 update cycles) on a total of about 10 or 12 updates. Some of these look like the updates being applied by Microsoft Update in the wrong order (eg. SP1-dependent updates being applied before SP1 was installed, Internet Explorer 8 updates being applied after Internet Explorer 9 had already been installed, etc.).

Eventually it seemed to settle down, and stopped suggesting any more updates.

My question is : Should I trust that all the updates went as they should? Since the update process failed several times, I don't quite trust that Microsoft Update always does things the right way. Some folks have said I should install SP1 before any other update. Others have said SP1 might depend on some previous updates. Others say it might CONFLICT with some previous updates. Ideally, I'd have a DVD with SP1 already applied, but I don't want to purchase another copy of Windows 7 Pro just for that.

I know I can download SP1 separately, but that leaves the questions above still unanswered.

Has anyone found a "perfect" order for applying updates so that none of them fail in this way?

And would you trust that everything was just hunky-dory after seeing these failures, as long as Windows didn't suggest any more updates? My main concern is that, somewhere in there, an update may have been applied that is out of order or incorrect given other updates, and something will break down the line, and soon.

- Tim

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Proper order for clean install of Windows 7 x64?

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:42 pm

I typically trust MS update. Having said that I also downloaded Win 7 64 media with SP1 then use my existing license.

tbessie
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by tbessie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:51 pm

Cigarguy wrote:I typically trust MS update. Having said that I also downloaded Win 7 64 media with SP1 then use my existing license.
Just curious, but where did you download it from? I see SP1 available as an update and an ISO, but I don't see Win7 x64 WITH SP1 already in it.

And did it cost you anything?

- Tim

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Cigarguy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Bit torrent. I wish MS made it easier to slipstream like it was with XP.

tbessie
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by tbessie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Cigarguy wrote:Bit torrent. I wish MS made it easier to slipstream like it was with XP.
Ahhh. Yeah, I have been lucky and not got many viruses or malware with torrents, but I don't want to take any chances these days. I do wish MS provided DVDs with SP1 already applied, free to licensed users. I have found OEM copies for sale online and at some local computer stores.

- Tim

jdrou

#6 Post by jdrou » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:14 pm

The "official" links from here still seem to work for downloading Windows 7 w/SP1 ISO images:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official- ... tal-river/
Current Thinkpads:
X31, X40, X61T, X61, X201, X220 (i7 IPS), W520 (FHD), T440p (FHD),
T480 (QHD)
Dells: Latitude C840, Precision M70, Precision M4400, M6400 (WUXGA), M6600, M6700, 7730, XPS 13
Daily driver: MS Surface Pro 7 (i7)

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#7 Post by Cigarguy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:34 pm

jdrou wrote:The "official" links from here still seem to work for downloading Windows 7 w/SP1 ISO images:
Thanks!

tbessie
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by tbessie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:19 pm

jdrou wrote:The "official" links from here still seem to work for downloading Windows 7 w/SP1 ISO images:
Thanks much!

- Tim