Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Shutdown/Sleep don't work normally

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
nikkolasg

Shutdown/Sleep don't work normally

#1 Post by nikkolasg » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:40 am

Hello !

I've installed a new fresh windows 7 on my ThinkPad x200 and I've got some troubles...
- Sleep doesnt work at all, it justs makes my screen black after a while but it's still "on", meaning the moon icon is not lighted, only the battery and the one to the left representing a "Z" are lighted... and I cannot back on the desktop or whatever, I've got to reboot manually...
- Shutdown, or even hibernate don t work, meaning that the computer shut down but when I reboot, window says that windows was not shut down properly etc etc and gives me the choice of running windows normaly or in safe mode etc.

I've looked up a several web pages about this but I didn t find someone who has the same problem, and didn t find any solutions which worked...
I've tried changing things in power controls etc ...

I've also another (minor) problem is that windows explorer, when its is asked something to do, like open the control panel, it automatically bugs and launch me an alert window saying
"Window explorer encountered a validation error.
Process name : Explorer.exe
Module name : ****32.dll (can be SHELL, or KERNEL, comctl etc, it depends)
assert offset : ******"
It was saying me the same thing when I tried launching IE. But it works sometime, and I can do stuff but really fast ^^
There it is ! I'm stuck ... :/ For the explorer problem, I haven t really searched yet but îf you know the answer, I'll be really happy!

Thank you !!!!

Nico

Ps: everything worked fine with the pre installed windows 7.

keithsketchley

Re: Shutdown/Sleep don't work normally

#2 Post by keithsketchley » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Interesting.

I have the same problem on two almost-identical x41s, much older machines than you have and with XP Pro installed.

I suspect:
- display drivers, of which there is more than one for the x41
- power settings (Lenovo/Windows power management has complex options including turning off display, HDD, and more).

twistero

Re: Shutdown/Sleep don't work normally

#3 Post by twistero » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Hmm. Make sure you have the correct video driver and power manager driver (the actual Power Manager software is not necessary) installed. For newer ThinkPads, they might come automatically with Windows Update, you just have to select them in "optional updates".
X60 tablet 6363-P3U, 3GB ram, 128GB SanDisk Extreme SSD, SXGA+ screen, Intel 6300
T61 Frankenpad in 15 inch T60 body, UXGA LED-lit AFFS LCD, T9300, 6GB RAM, NVidia NVS140m, Intel 6205, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, 1TB HGST HDD + eBay caddy in Ultrabay
701c butterfly, 75MHz 486DX4, 40MB ram, 1GB CF card