thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:12 pm 

Hi all,

My T520's NVS card has never worked right - control panel has always crashed no matter how many updates/backdates and reinstallations/sweeps I run. So being Mr. Tech-savvy I delete the whole shebang and set it to boot into safe mode using msconfig.

But now it's not booting at all - it gets to the log in screen and then it gets stuck in a reboot loop because of some "insufficient memory" or "login failed" error. I've managed to backup my vital files with Linux onto a USB drive and Dropbox, but there's still some stuff I don't want to lose/reinstall. I made the recovery media (1 boot, three recovery discs) and it takes me to the ThinkVantage screen where I have two options: Restore Windows partition (C partition only) and Restore to factory default state.

Which option lets me keep my data and, more importantly, which will let me fix/restore Windows? I also have a x64 Professional disc but I run x64 Premium right now.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:51 pm 

Ah never mind. Some tomfoolery later and it turns out it there's a Code 39 error with my PCI express controller.