Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

free windows 7 is legal or not?

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
andre#4
Freshman Member

free windows 7 is legal or not?

#1 Post by andre#4 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:52 pm

Forgive me for my question I have read for 2 hours so far can make neither heads nor tails.

I found a link for a guide through this forum. Official windows 7 repository, on mydigitallife.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... Repository

It shows how to get windows 7 free. Is this legal?

I thought of doing it a different way, getting the iso from digital river first, then using the ideas from the mydigitallife guide.

i have been reading of the middleton bios which has SLIC table. Does this mean you can put any windows 7 into any machine with middleton, or another slic bios, and avoid the need to buy a license key? Are there any limitations, ie you have to use a oem version of windows 7? (god this has gotten so complicated)

And this is all above board?

Not that I care per se, microsoft probably has enough money already, I just want to know what I am doing before I do it.

If this is indeed illegal, what is the best legal way to get windows 7 onto a t60 or t61? (I have seen on ebay people selling dell windows 7 discs with dell motherboards and coa stickers for $60 and up)

I don't even want windows 7. I am an xp man. but I am making a 64bit machine and have heard mostly bad things about vista. I have also wondered why people don't use 64bit xp? I suppose that is question for another day.

Thanks so much for all help I love this forum and love thinkpads especially with the majic 3 letters IBM!!!

Khipata

Re: free windows 7 is legal or not?

#2 Post by Khipata » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:58 am

Sorry to tell you this but it is ILLEGAL :)
But hey, if we (on this forum) are technologically advanced enough to obtain, restore, upgrade, admire and actually USE used Thinkpads, let us be honest to each other: we've all been there, done that at some point...
For the same honesty's sake, I can not think that Windows' price tag will be justified on machines costing 2 or 3 times less that OS itself... So this is debatable moral question: should you or should you not install such a copy of Windows.... It is much like downloading movies as torrents, or reading PDF versions of retail books, or borrowing a PC game from a friend or... or... or... So as I said, IT IS ILLEGAL but there is no force on this planet which will stop you from successfully doing just that :) Personally, my opinion is, IF you can afford, you should ABSOLUTELY purchase legal copy, but if you can not, well... People get away with murders every day as sad as this is, so I do not think a lousy copy of OS will break Microsoft nor I consider it a CRIME per se ...
I believe I answered your question ... :)
5140,L40SX(3),PS/NOTE 425(2),PS/2 NOTE,700T,730T,700,700C(3),720C,701C(3),701CS(3),360P,360PE,750P,380,385,PC110,TRANSNOTE, Z50,240,240X,600,600E,600X(2),A31P,750C,755C,770,X40,X60,X61S,X61T,R50,R51E,R61I,
T20,T21,T30,T42(2),T43,T60,T61(4),T500(2),W520,HP95LX,100LX,200LX,300,PSION II,3,NEWTON130

andre#4
Freshman Member

#3 Post by andre#4 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:37 am

Well yes, this is a 8 year old computer. I want to somehow get a 64bit OS on here. Also, I paid for the XP and Microsoft has stopped supporting it even though it is the best windows OS in the world and x billions of people still use it. And I am not trying to get windows 10 or 8.1 or 8. Just the outdated 7 which will ultimately be unsupported by mircosoft.

Anyway, if I have middleton bios, can I put in any old windows 7 disk and it will bypass the authentication section? And it won't become unactivated, or whatever after 30 days?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:45 am

To work on Lenovo machines, you'll need Lenovo Recovery disks for Vista or W7, plus Slic-tables in your BIOS, to get automatic activation.
An official 'bare' Vista or W7 download (like from DigitalRiver) still requires a COA-key to get activated.
The guys at MDL and other forums are very good at stuffing these Slic-tables into the BIOS of most any laptop/PC.
'Nuff said.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Medessec
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Medessec » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:49 am

Indeed- the link posted in OP is not really condoned by MS.

But as hinted at by RBS, this is far from the easiest way of getting a good, clean Windows Vista/7 install on your Thinkpad. Your best bet is Lenovo recovery disks, which can still cost you... but just post a WTB ad in the Marketplace forum, shouldn't be long before someone pokes up with a spare.

Vista's not half bad despite what everyone says, but Windows 7 has more features and is overall nicer, so it would be preferable to have that. Really depends on the Thinkpad in question.
Trying my hardest to collect Thinkpads, but college and being broke kinda gets in the way. However...
701C, 760, 770, X24, T30, G41, A31p, T43p, T60/61 Frankie, Z61p, X60 SXGA+, W700ds
MEDESSEC

and yes. I am a bit of a lunatic.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#6 Post by ajkula66 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:02 am

I believe that there are two different issues here...

Legality of the download in question is a tricky one, but with that said, as long as one has a proper key/COA for the OS that they're installing, they can use pretty much any matching media they deem fit. Now, if they don't...that's a whole another can of worms.

FTR: I've used the link above to download and install a fresh copy of W7 64 Pro on my T410 which does have a COA for it. It refused to accept the characters, but a simple call to MS' automated activation system solved the problem.

Obviously, YMMV.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

GomJabbar

#7 Post by GomJabbar » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:16 pm

DKB

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#8 Post by axur-delmeria » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:44 pm

The method outlined in the linked article is "normal" until Step 4, where it advocates outright piracy through the use of a "loader".

Later sections give more details regarding OEM activation, which is fine for education purposes... then circumvention methods are discussed. :(

As ajkula66 said:
as long as one has a proper key/COA for the OS that they're installing, they can use pretty much any matching media they deem fit.
In my line of work, I've used retail Windows 7 discs to reinstall the OS on laptops whose original hard drives had malfunctioned and were replaced. In those cases, the recovery discs were either unavailable or were defective.

In one recent case, it was the service center that made the mistake, using a 64-bit Win 7 restore disc on an Atom N2800 netbook, but Intel only has beta 64-bit drivers for the GMA 3650 integrated graphics. :eek:
The COA sticker was even labeled "Win 7 Home Basic 32-bit" for crying out loud. I dunno what the techs were thinking. :x
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#9 Post by jronald » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:31 pm

You have not mentioned what your laptop is. That said, if your laptop came optionally with 7, the easiest fasted simplest way to do what you want to do, is locate a set of System Restore discs.

Drop them in, let them do there thing, and your good to go.

I know for a fact that the T60 Vista discs work on several other models, as an experiment I tried it. Did not really seem to matter what I tried them on, they loaded fine. I dont personally know if the Lenovo 7's will because trying this is pretty time consuming way to figure it out.

YMMV
Ron
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's

joester

#10 Post by joester » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:43 am

I'll toss in my $0.02.

I had a W7 COA from a different laptop, and a T60P (the one I'm currently using) with no HDD.
Added the HDD, and downloaded the W7 install ISO that matched the sticker. (W7 Home)
Installed the OS, activated online, and installed the appropriate drivers from Lenovo.

Seems to be working great.

Joe
Common sense to some of us is unfortunately the higher education others strive to attain.