Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Is this where it is heading?

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
garnet
Freshman Member

Is this where it is heading?

#1 Post by garnet » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:50 am

In the light of lack of nice TP models currently (we all dislike some aspects of what is out there) and the possibility for an i5 mobo for t4x series and possibly i7 for t6x series, is this the way to go?
Someone to design new mobos for TP? I personally like the idea - and if someone can come up with some present day mobo for a 5+ years old TP, I am buying :)
Rather sad, lenovo dropped the good thing in their t6x/t4x designs.

What do you think?
T60 8743-cto, 64 GB C300 SSD, UB HDD - 200GB 7200, ATI MR X1400 @ 1680x1050, 3 GB RAM, Core 2 Duo T7200 2 GHz, Atheros WIFI N, IntelPRO/1000 PL, DVDRW, Win XP pro/Ubuntu 10.10

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: Is this where it is heading?

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:25 am

garnet wrote: What do you think?
There's quite a few folks around here who hold T4x and T6x series as the pinnacle of ThinkPad design.

I'll be ordering a couple of "T50" boards once they become available for purchase.

It's hard to say whether Lenovo could've chosen a different route without hurting their bottom line 5-6 years ago. I'm not necessarily certain that it matters now either. Just want those T50 boards to come true...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Summilux

#3 Post by Summilux » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:29 am

Not so long ago, a friendly fellow posted a link to this blog: http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3265
They plan on using TP (or TP like) keyboards.
Deathwisher
T60 2007-FSG (stolen)
X220 4287-CTO

Saucey

#4 Post by Saucey » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:05 am

It would be fun to swap a board from one thinkpad to another... Now if I had my own cnc machine or 3D printer.
I do love the 4:3 display ratio of the T61, I do not care for widescreen laptops (x201t can be forgiven), I know TVs started to go wide screen and eventually stayed, now there is 16:10 theatrical wide screen format some TVs are displaying... Ill wait to get a laptop once they have that.
Hopefully Function keys will be moved to the left of the keyboard once those screens are implemented.
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

Medessec
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Medessec » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:36 am

I really do think that the T50 motherboard is not only a real possibility, but a trail being blazed for people to once again have the solid build quality and assembly the old machines used to offer. As more and more people become aware of this being the solution to continue using their T43s, not just Thinkpadders... but people who used to appreciate having a T43 but are stuck with some nasty piece of hardware now for their job (Dell Latitude, iPad, HP, etc.) Once the first person walks around using their T43 as a normal computer, a conversation strikes up, it may be a "viral" thing, but far below the scale of viral. It WILL be enough for the T50 motherboard and similar mods to develop a market.

My college roommate could care less about Thinkpads before I met him, now he's bought a T43p off of me and he absolutely loves the UXGA IPS screen, but hates the T43's useless performance. The moment I told him about the T50, he got wide-eyed while I explained the whole thing to him. First thing he said is, "I want it."
Trying my hardest to collect Thinkpads, but college and being broke kinda gets in the way. However...
701C, 760, 770, X24, T30, G41, A31p, T43p, T60/61 Frankie, Z61p, X60 SXGA+, W700ds
MEDESSEC

and yes. I am a bit of a lunatic.

Return to “Off-Topic Stuff”