Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Going to Japan

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
biggchinoxxl

Going to Japan

#1 Post by biggchinoxxl » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:47 am

I'm going to Japan in august and I recently purchased the t42 dxu.

I have basically two questions.

1) going to japan i know the power or voltage is different, i was wondering if the adapter would be usable there or would i need to purchase some thing else to charge my laptop

2) since im going to japan to study abroad i will need japanese language support. i was wondering how would i be able to get that because there is no windows cd so i can install it form there. would i be able to get a cd from ibm because i read that everything that is need to restore my laptop is already there in a hidden partition. is there a number i should call?

Thanks for any information

G-Man
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Going to Japan

#2 Post by G-Man » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:29 am

Your power adapter can be used worldwide. Even the US two pins plug will fit into the Japanese outlets. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html

You don't need the Windows CD for adding Japanese language support. The complete Windows is on your hard drive. Just follow these steps (skip the Chinese part). You may also want to check out this website.

Regards,
G-Man

spworley

#3 Post by spworley » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:40 am

I just got back from Japan 3 days ago, bright my trusty old T20 with me everywhere. Plugs and voltage are no problem with anything you own, hairdryers, electronics, etc. MAYBE if you go into the countryside there's some rural areas still with 50 Hz electricity but that would still work with the thinkpad. [But maybe not AC motors!]

And yup, just install Asian Language support in XP, you'll have no problems, I send and receive Japanese email in English XP all the time using just the stock Outlook and XP.

cf_lily

#4 Post by cf_lily » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:07 pm

yeah, that would not be problems with Winxp pro.
in my system I also use the Asian language packeg in the xp. It works perfectly.

Do not warry about that

blehbrian

#5 Post by blehbrian » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:02 pm

I had a similar question, except I will be in Korea this summer. G-Man, you state that the power adapter can be used worldwide. However, aren't the actual outlets different in some countries, such as England and Holland? Does anyone happen to know offhand whether I will need a plug adapter of some sorts for my trip to Korea?

Also, not to hijack this thread, but I had a somewhat related question regarding in-flight laptop usage. I've never taken a laptop on a plane before, or even through a metal detector. Is there anything I need to know before doing such? I seem to recall having to turn off my cell phone during the take-off/landing portions of the flight - but while in-flight, is it required to disable some of the wireless feature so the laptop? Such as bluetooth / wifi internet.

G-Man
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by G-Man » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:13 pm

Korea uses two different outlets. One of them is the same as the two pins US plug. The other one is the European type, two pins rounded plug. This site will help you: http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/wwelect.htm#top As I said, you just need either another power cord for the TP's power adapter, or you just buy a travel kit from Radio Shack, Samsonite, or from the website above, the AC will work worldwide.

You don't have to worry about traveling on plane with your TP. They never told me to turn off the wireless. Well, if the plane starts falling, you may turn it off. :wink:

Regards,
G-Man

biggchinoxxl

#7 Post by biggchinoxxl » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:00 am

Thanks for all the information.

Zeitgeist

#8 Post by Zeitgeist » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:02 am

Make sure you have watched the movie "Lost in translation" before you go...
Regards, Zeitgeist

snife

#9 Post by snife » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:23 am

Zeitgeist wrote:Make sure you have watched the movie "Lost in translation" before you go...
I would really advise not, i know everyone raves about this movie but that is 2 hours of my life I will never get back and that makes me sad.

lilserenity

#10 Post by lilserenity » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:53 am

Verging on complete OT, but I prefer Sofia Copolla's directing debut "The Virgin Suicides" (based on the seminal book by Jeffery Eugenides) to Lost in Translation. Far prefer Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. Ho ho ho, I'm a whacked out case for liking odd films :)

Anyway cool, Japan, would love to go myself some day. *looks at bank balance* No, not today it would seem ;)
- ThinkPad T40 w/Ubuntu Feisty and PowerBook 1400 ;)

- Read my blog: http://www.lilserenity.com

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#11 Post by JaneL » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:26 am

>I would really advise not, i know everyone raves about this movie but that is 2 hours of my life I will never get back and that makes me sad.
>

I feel exactly the same way about that movie. Was it only 2 hours? It felt like 10. I went with a group to see it, and out of the 5 people, 4 of us voted it the worst movie we'd ever seen. I was reduced to getting out my PDA and playing games to while away the seemingly endless time.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

Zeitgeist

#12 Post by Zeitgeist » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:08 am

Well, the gameboy generation which is used to action movies, has not the patience to enjoy a slow, subtle movie about differences in culture between Japan and the US- with excellent actors.

I think it was one of the best movies of the last three years made in Hollywood.
Regards, Zeitgeist

ian
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#13 Post by ian » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:25 am

Hear Hear (Here here?)

Anyway - I'm back !
Ian at thinkpads dot com

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#14 Post by JaneL » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:46 am

>Well, the gameboy generation which is used to action movies, has not the patience to enjoy a slow, subtle movie about differences in culture between Japan and the US- with excellent actors.
>

The gameboy generation? That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me since a little girl young enough to be my granddaughter tried to card me in a bar! (OK, to her credit, it *was* pretty dark in there, and she couldn't see the grey hair...)
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

Return to “Off-Topic Stuff”