thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:10 pm 

I have an X100e (late model with the L625 dual core) that I use occasionally. I bought it from the original owner a year ago and it's barely used and has never been mistreated. Windows 7 Home Premium.

The last six months or so, after I've been using it a while (no set time--anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 hours) it'll hang and then the screen will go blank. Either white if the backlight's on or black if the backlight's off. The machine will also start to heat up and the CPU fan will go to full power. It doesn't reboot or show any signs of doing anything and must be powered off by holding down the power button.

This doesn't seem to be a software/Windows Stop error issue. RAM checks out OK, so all I can think of from here is a motherboard issue. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I did update the BIOS a while ago but apparently they recently came out with another one so I'll try that, too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:15 am 

Nope. It may happen less since the BIOS update but it still happens.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:42 pm 

My x100e L335 win7 32 bit suffered random freezes while surfing certain sites. Updating drivers and bios didn't help. Memory diagnostics checked ok too. Nevertheless, I replaced the original memory module with Kingston Valueram, which cured the problem completely.
I would therefore suggest trying a different memory module before considering other measures.
Please let me know if you make any progress.
- Daniel

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:57 pm 

I actually took out a Kingston module the PO put in, and it seems to be working so far. Fingers crossed. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:59 pm 

Glad to hear that. It confirms my suspicion that the x100e is very fussy in an unpredictable way about memory modules. The one I had to replace passed all the common memory diagnostics.

I'll keep my fingers crossed too,
Daniel