thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:55 am 

I use Dragon Naturally Speaking (DNS) on my desktop. I installed it on my Thinkpad X120e and tried to train DNS using the internal microphone. When I repeated the first training sentence, it showed a bar graph indicating sound received while I was speaking, but DNS kept asking for me to repeat.

I did not expect to get good recognition using the internal microphone, so I plugged the one I use on my desktop into the mini phone-jack on the left side of the X120e. How do I configure the X120e to use my external microphone rather than the internal one?

PaulF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:16 pm 

From more research, I think I need an adapter to make my mike's PC-style plug compatible with the single combined mike and earphones jack on the X120e, which I think is the same as the jack on most smartphone jacks. The adapter splits out the mike and earphones into two separate jacks. The adapter I ordered is a PC Buddy model PC35-PH35.

Maybe the answer to how to turn off the internal mike is that plugging in the external mike does it automatically. I'll see when I receive the adapter.

PaulF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:32 am 

PaulF1 wrote:
Maybe the answer to how to turn off the internal mike is that plugging in the external mike does it automatically. I'll see when I receive the adapter.

I use a cellphone headset/microphone and the internal microphone is indeed disabled when I plug in the headset. The internal microphone is pretty much unusable because it picks up fan noise and any typing that you might do during a conversation.