thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:59 am 

My X100E (3508 Turion Neo X2 L625) has always run very hot and occasionally shut off.

Now it's out of warranty, it does it all the time!

I phoned Lenovo, who said the fan would need replacing (even though it sounds like it's working?).

Ridiculously they want £212 labour (+parts +VAT) to replace the fan. So it's not worth doing. £212 for a 10 minute job?

Is it easy to do yourself? Fans are on Ebay for £22ish. If not, is there somewhere reasonaly priced in London that can do it?

And is it really likely to be the fan?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:21 am 
Sophomore Member

finisterre wrote:
My X100E (3508 Turion Neo X2 L625) has always run very hot and occasionally shut off.

Now it's out of warranty, it does it all the time!

I phoned Lenovo, who said the fan would need replacing (even though it sounds like it's working?).

Ridiculously they want £212 labour (+parts +VAT) to replace the fan. So it's not worth doing. £212 for a 10 minute job?

Is it easy to do yourself? Fans are on Ebay for £22ish. If not, is there somewhere reasonaly priced in London that can do it?

And is it really likely to be the fan?

Thanks.

I personally haven't worked on an X100E but it should be relatively straightforward to do - it can't be as bad taking apart an X61 to replace it's fan! :lol:

The HMM for your series of ThinkPad is accessible via the following link - you might to check it out first to review the process involved but to see if you feel comfortable doing it yourself.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/63Y0640_06.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:32 am 

Also, it may not be necessary to replace the fan.
Refer to the Hardware Maintenance Manual posted above, simply remove the keyboard, and you'll see the fan. The fan and/or vent may be clogged with dust during usage, which can lead to heat problems. You might be able to clean the fan and vent with a small brush or some compressed air without actually taking it off the motherboard. This alone might solve your problem.