Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X131e: Bluetooth not working with AW-CB160H

X100e/X120e/X130e/X140e Series
unilock

X131e: Bluetooth not working with AW-CB160H

#1 Post by unilock » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:23 am

Hi all, I've been struggling to get Bluetooth working on my X131e after removing the whitelist and replacing the Wi-Fi/BT card.

The old card, a Broadcom BCM943228HMB, works fine; both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are detected. But the new card, an AzureWave AW-CB160H (Broadcom BCM94360HMB) does not; only Wi-Fi works (in macOS), and Bluetooth isn't detected at all.
Note that I've been doing all this testing on a Pop!_OS live USB.

I've confirmed that the WLAN port on the X131e has both PCIe and USB lanes by looking at the schematics. (The WWAN port has SATA and USB lanes, for reference.)

I've tried taping over both pins 5 and 51 (this made BT work on my Latitude E6410), just pin 51, and no pins at all on the AW-CB160H, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Here's the output of

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net; lsusb; sudo dmesg | egrep -i 'blue|firm'
with just pin 51 taped over (the current configuration): https://pastebin.com/hj1aSngJ

I could try a Fenvi BCM94360NG with a M.2 to Mini PCIe adapter I accidentally bought, but I doubt it would work since the only port long enough to fit it (WWAN) doesn't have PCIe lanes.

Yes, Bluetooth is enabled in BIOS. I've tried with Bluetooth disabled, too, but it didn't make a difference.
Any ideas?
Last edited by unilock on Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unilock

Re: X131e: Bluetooth not working with AW-CB160H

#2 Post by unilock » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:02 pm

After hotswapping my BCM94360HMB into my X131e's WLAN slot, replacing the original Wi-Fi + BT card, I got it to show up in lsusb!

Based on this, I propose the following:

The USB lanes in the WLAN port are enabled conditionally on boot (and maybe when waking from sleep; untested).

When a "compatible device" is detected, whatever that may be, it enables the USB lanes, and keeps them enabled for as long as the laptop is turned on. Otherwise, it keeps the USB lanes disabled.

The USB lanes of the WWAN slot are always enabled.

I have no clue what the laptop is checking for when deciding to enable the USB lanes. Any insight would be much appreciated.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:53 am

Maybe your whitelist-removal wasn't done properly?
X131e requires an SPI-programmer solution per individual machine, (no) thank you UEFI. :evil:
Maybe try an AC-7260?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

unilock

#4 Post by unilock » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:20 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:53 am
Maybe your whitelist-removal wasn't done properly?
X131e requires an SPI-programmer solution per individual machine, (no) thank you UEFI. :evil:
Maybe try an AC-7260?
That's something I'd pondered, too. I don't actually know the ins-and-outs of the patches I applied (found here, originated from here).
I'm considering loading both the clean and modified BIOSes into a disassembler, then comparing the results... though unfortunately my knowledge of x86 assembly is limited.

That, or I could just contact Nephiel, the creator of the patches.

Unfortunately, I don't have an AC7260, though I do have other Wi-Fi + BT cards. I'm not sure if they're officially supported or not, though, which may create some confounding variables were I to test them for Bluetooth functionality. Guess I'll find out one way or another.

Maybe I should just install Coreboot on the darn thing. Though I have a feeling that would create more problems than it would solve.

unilock

#5 Post by unilock » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:28 pm

It turns out I don't have any other half miniPCIe Wi-Fi + BT cards. But, as previously mentioned, I *do* have a Fenvi BCM94360NG with a M.2 to Mini PCIe adapter...

So, I jammed that thing into the WLAN slot, plugged in the battery, booted Pop!_OS, ran "lshw"... and guess what? Bluetooth showed up! Without taping pins or anything!!

So, I give up. I'm just going to use my Fenvi card for now. Hopefully nothing gets damaged with a full sized card in a half sized slot.

Pictured is my current configuration: https://mega.nz/file/E4MSAJCI#77i7crX8s ... ShOo8LW-gY

EDIT: Spoke too soon. On macOS, Bluetooth works with USBInjectAll.kext, but not with a properly mapped USBPorts.kext. I guess I'll just stick with the former until I get a new(er) laptop.

EDIT2: Oh great. Now sleep doesn't work (because the USB ports aren't mapped properly). Good god.

EDIT3: I got it working! I had to change the port type of the "BRCM20702 Hub" (the Bluetooth device) in Hackintool from "Internal" (255) to "USB2" (0). But sleep is still broken :(

unilock

#6 Post by unilock » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:48 pm

FIXED!!!

All I had to do was add SSDT-GPRW as recommended here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Pos ... -wake.html

Now I have Bluetooth at last!
Not that I ever use it...

Future adventurers, check out my EFI here: https://github.com/unilock/x131e-hackintosh