Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

600X Crashes when jarred or bumped

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
JoyPC

600X Crashes when jarred or bumped

#1 Post by JoyPC » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:35 pm

600X stuffed w/850mhz, 576MB ram, XPpro has been running perfectly for over 5 years. Suddenly I get BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL showing whatever driver it was accessing at the moment it got bumped, jarred or moved. It does not do this when DIMMs are removed. It also doesn't do this in Safe Mode when DIMMs are installed. Both 256MB sticks of Kingston RAM test OK. So I figure it's a motherboard issue communicating with the RAM sticks with higher functions of memory usage in XP. Any other thoughts before I look for another SpeedStep mobo on eBay? I intend to keep this normally bulletproof sweetie purrin til Jesus comes back... Thanks!

pkiff

Re: 600X Crashes when jarred or bumped

#2 Post by pkiff » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:41 am

Hey JoyPC,

Interestingly, I was (and probably still am) getting these errors periodically on my upgraded 600X. I never quite tracked it down, and would be curious to find out if a motherboard change makes it go away.

I think I wondered if it had to do with overheating - it almost never used to happen when I was undocked, but only when the machine was sitting in a SelectaDock III, which I don't think is very well ventilated. And it could sometimes go for a week or more without a problem, but then would freeze up several times over a couple days. When I upgraded my CPU, I didn't properly replace/clean the surface and apply new Arctic 5 Silver...

I also had theories about it being related to some kind of hard drive issue, and was going to look into upgrading my hard drive firmware. Or running through some memtests with the memory.

But before I got around to investigating further, I had bought my current X60 Tablet, and my attention turned towards that machine instead.

Phil.
X1E Gen 4 · X1T 3rd Gen · W520 · Legacy: P52, T60p, X61T, 600X, 770Z
Nostalgic for: 600X PIII 850MHz in a SelectaDock III with 64MB Voodoo 5 5500 and Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1.