Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

New user: bringing ThinkPad 570E out of loonngg hibernation

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
hulagun

New user: bringing ThinkPad 570E out of loonngg hibernation

#1 Post by hulagun » Sun May 04, 2014 5:43 pm

Hello,
Noob forum member here. Seeking some help bringing a ThinkPad 570E out of hibernation.

First of all I'm new to DOS based computing. I am slightly familiar with the basics but consider me a raw novice. I'm hoping to learn as I go. Go easy on me!

Back story- I race a vintage motorcycle. It runs a Czech ignition using DOS based software for engine management and diagnostics. I do as much of my own wrenching as I can. Since I have access to the software, I'd like to learn how to use it - or at least read it - when I am out on the road. The software is Eastern Bloc circa 1990s so supposedly happiest running on older Windows machines running XP or older versions.

A laptop seems best, with the ability to use wireless, use Bluetooth (if possible), transfer files using Flash memory via USB port, and capture screen shots. (Some extra capacity for taking a large mp3 music library on the road with me would be great, assuming I can transfer them to a thumb drive to play in the van).

To that end, I have just acquired a circa 1998 IBM ThinkPad 570E that was last operated in 2003 or so.
I have the power supply hooked up, and downloaded some users manuals. Got it powered up and managed to navigate to a screen showing 15 or so folders plus the Windows 98 logo. Now what? :)

Deal with 15 year old batteries?
Scrub any unnecessary old files or software?
Install the software I use?
Fix any known issues?
Read DOS for Dummies?

Some specific questions:
- how to add drivers so I can transfer files using a memory stick/thumb drive?
- best way to allow wireless access (it appears not to have a wireless card)?
- can bluetooth capability be added?
- how to determine what of the currently installed software is obsolete or extraneous to my needs?

Thanks for any helpful advice.
Ivan

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: New user: bringing ThinkPad 570E out of loonngg hibernat

#2 Post by BillMorrow » Sun May 04, 2014 7:35 pm

gee, gosh..
a 570E is pretty much an antique..
i actually do have one but i just looked and can't find it..
do you have the ultrabase for it..?
thats the part that clips on the bottom and adds a CD drive and some more ports..

is the CMOS battery still good..?
how about the main battery..?
there are probably one of each available..
as i recall the 570 is the same generation as the 600 series.. only thinner..

you say DOS but you probably mean win98.. right..?

a few more questions and i must hurry.. dinner is brewing and the wife is tapping her foot and glaring..

engine management is written in what..? assembly or a language like basic that compiles or C or..?
when you say you have the code, how is it presented..?
how do you edit the code and then what.. compile it into machine language..
if so for which processor..?

a quick answer to some of your other questions..
blue tooth might be found in a USB "stick" and the same for wifi access..
i just got a couple of these ABGN type for $6 each..
otherwise there might be some PCMCIA cards with wifi and BT..

a memory stick should appear as an additional drive to win95 or win98 or winXP..

oh, welcome to the forum..
from a native San Franciscan..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

hulagun

#3 Post by hulagun » Sun May 04, 2014 8:19 pm

BillMorrow wrote:...

Bill thanks for the greetings and wisdom. Answers below in blue

do you have the ultrabase for it..? Not that I can see.
is the CMOS battery still good..? Not sure how to test.

how about the main battery..? Not sure. It is on charger now 3 hours still orange lamp lit. i'm assuming bad but maybe it doesnt matter?

you say DOS but you probably mean win98.. right..? Sorry, I was using DOS wrongly. It has a label on the keyboard says Pentium III, Windows 98, Designed for Windows 2000 Professional.

engine management is written in what..? assembly or a language like basic that compiles or C or..?
how do you edit the code and then what.. compile it into machine language.. err.. greek to me! Not sure what it is written in. I don't have any code, but I can download an exe file that gives me an interface to change my ignitions settings. from what I have seen an interface window opens and all the user has to do is enter in / type in parameters (i.e RPM) or turn feature buttons on-off.

blue tooth might be found in a USB "stick" and the same for wifi access.. I'll check ebay.. great reference resource
otherwise there might be some PCMCIA cards with wifi and BT.. hmmm how can I tell which is compatible with my particular setup? Might there a way to do wifi and or BT without blocking the sole USB port? On the road, the less bits and bobs I have to juggle the better.

a memory stick should appear as an additional drive to win95 or win98 or winXP.. I tried just plugging it in and it said it recognized it as an additional drive, but then asked me to specify where to look for a compatible driver. That stumped me....

Thanks again,
Ivan

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#4 Post by BillMorrow » Mon May 05, 2014 12:35 am

BillMorrow wrote:...

Bill thanks for the greetings and wisdom. Answers below in blue

do you have the ultrabase for it..? Not that I can see.
you would know it if there was an ultrabase attached.. it makes it thicker.. adds a CD drive..
is the CMOS battery still good..? Not sure how to test.
you would know when booting the thinkpad.. it would complain before booting up and ask/demand you hit esc or something

how about the main battery..? Not sure. It is on charger now 3 hours still orange lamp lit. i'm assuming bad but maybe it doesnt matter?
it only matters if you want/need to use it on battery rather than plugged in

you say DOS but you probably mean win98.. right..? Sorry, I was using DOS wrongly. It has a label on the keyboard says Pentium III, Windows 98, Designed for Windows 2000 Professional.
ok.. FWIW win 2000 was a good OS..

how do you edit the code and then what.. compile it into machine language.. err.. greek to me! Not sure what it is written in. I don't have any code, but I can download an exe file that gives me an interface to change my ignitions settings. from what I have seen an interface window opens and all the user has to do is enter in / type in parameters (i.e RPM) or turn feature buttons on-off.
ok, so you have an app or utility that modifies the ECM parameters..
great, wish i had such for my troublesome 2001 MBZ S600 which model noted for flaky electronics..
so, does this program run in DOS or a variant of windows..?
by running in DOS i mean do you boot to a DOS prompt and then execute the program..?
or do you load it under windows 98, then click on an avatar which runs a nice GUI for the ECM..?
(GUI=Graphical User Interface)
AND, finally, more or less, how does the thinkpad "talk" to the ECM.. rf via BT, or via a USB connection.. OR, heavens, an ancient serial connection..?

blue tooth might be found in a USB "stick" and the same for wifi access.. I'll check ebay.. great reference resource
otherwise there might be some PCMCIA cards with wifi and BT.. hmmm how can I tell which is compatible with my particular setup? Might there a way to do wifi and or BT without blocking the sole USB port? On the road, the less bits and bobs I have to juggle the better.
the ultrabase would add another USB port or two..
the PCMCIA slot can hold two PCMCIA cards..
as for compatibility it would need to be compatible with the win OS more so than the thinkpad..
BUT, that 570E is pretty old and would need a USB 1 (or whatever is the early version of USB).. same for any PCMCIA cards.. look for older hardware support..
ebay, amazon or the marketplace here are your best bets for compatible add on hardware, with the appropriate driver being important..
and whatever you get if a new USB device or PCMCIA card, they would not add to junk to be hauled around.. they would be IN the thinkpad..

a memory stick should appear as an additional drive to win95 or win98 or winXP.. I tried just plugging it in and it said it recognized it as an additional drive, but then asked me to specify where to look for a compatible driver. That stumped me....
would stump me too for a few minutes but since i don't know what you have for a memory stick or thumb drive its hard to advise here..
win7 has all these drivers embedded so to speak..
perhaps if you run an update on the windows install it will make things a whole lot easier..

I don't know where you live in the city (SF) but there should be a radio shack or other computer shop close by.. you can stop in and ask for something that would work..
or check out good old google or amazon..
let your fingers do the walking rather than driving around..
in fact, i like amazon.. google will also give you offers.. but be sure you get the win98 drivers..

Thanks again,
Ivan

i made my replies to your replied in BOLD since it was easier.. i'm on an iPad right now, believe it or now.. the thinkpad tablet 2s i have are running windows 8 and i can barely turn the d@mn thing on..

~~~Mark Twain~~~

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#5 Post by BillMorrow » Mon May 05, 2014 12:39 pm

sorry..
i guess i mistakenly locked this thread..
oversensitive touch screen on this iPad..
(WHICH by the way is much easier to use than win 8.1 on the thinkpad tablet 2)..

~~~Mark Twain~~~

Ken Edmonds
Freshman Member

#6 Post by Ken Edmonds » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:16 am

I bought a 4 port PCMCIA USB 2.0 card some years ago to use with my 600X and 570Es but I can't remember now if it worked under W98 or only 2K/XP. It certainly worked perfectly but unfortunately the 570Es have only got XP Pro now and although the 600X did dual boot to 2K and Windows 98 SE the W98 installation's corrupted and unusable so I can't check.

The only worry with the 570E is with a maximum 384MB memory and Windows XP there's not a lot to play with. USB might help but a PCMCIA wireless card was the last straw on mine. I remember it being a lot quicker using Windows 98 SE but that could be with the benefit of it being a long while ago.

I've got Ultrabases for both of mine, and a faulty spare, but you're bound to find one nearer than 5 - 6,000 miles!

If the orange charging lamp is lit it's promising as it means the battery's actually charging although whether it will hold a useful charge is another matter. If the orange light flashes the battery's dead.

Oops - sorry! I hadn't noticed this thread was a couple of months old.
T61 x 2, T60 x 5, T43, T42/T43, R51e, 600X, 570E x 2, 560X, 760C, 720C

jflores
Freshman Member

#7 Post by jflores » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:12 am

Even month old threads can be revived speaking of 20+ old Thinkpads :)

After trying different setups for wifi on my vintage Thinkpads, I went after a specific PCMCIA model that is compatible from Windows 95SE up to Windows XP (which should be enough) - drivers are easy to be found.
More importantly, it was mandatory it needed to handle WPA2 / TKIP as modern routers do.

The icing on the cake : it has a retractable antenna so you just push it in when not in use, so you don't risk breaking it because of the antenna sticking out !
The model I am talking about is 3COM 3crpag175 - a wonder and a joy to use. Highly recommended, bought a dozen or so myself :)

Hope this helps
Joscelyn