Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

I can rebuild your TransNote BIOS/CMOS battery!

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
CSCIndianapolis

I can rebuild your TransNote BIOS/CMOS battery!

#1 Post by CSCIndianapolis » Sat May 31, 2014 2:21 pm

I'm a friend of hwattys, and he has introduced me to this forum. I just rebuilt the yellow AND green wrapped batteries for one of his TransNotes. I own a small independent electronics repair business in Indianapolis, and have the equipment to rebuild these batteries - new cells, new nickel strip (welded just like the factory originals), and new shrink wrap! I say *rebuild* because I need the small white connector/wires from the original batteries to complete the process.

I'm vigilantly looking for a source for these original connectors. Having them would allow me to just send you out a finished replacement product. Until then, I must rebuild them.

I'm having trouble identifying them. However, my search has just started, and I'm hopeful that I can find an item number, or perhaps the original manufacturer reference ID to find a compatible replacement. I'm sure I'm not the first person to attempt this endeavor, so If anyone can provide any information it would be helpful - I'm on the search. :D I've located a couple possibilities, but information provided on-line is sometimes limited and spec sheets that would give me the details I need to confirm are not always available.

I'd have to set up a system for on-line payment (probably paypal), and shipping - depending on your location. I just wanted to let you know that someone out on the internets has a solution *IF* you have the original connector for me to re-use.

Feel free to visit my business website at cscindy.us
or facebook http://www.facebook.com/ComputerRepairIndy

Questions and comments are welcome!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: I can rebuild your TransNote BIOS/CMOS battery!

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat May 31, 2014 2:51 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Check the picture in the 2nd post by rkawakami for CMOS connectors.
I 'refurbed' the yellow 2-cell Transnote CMOS recently and reused the 'old' connector, but can't remember exactly what it looked like.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=110269
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

wisdomkeeper
Freshman Member

Re: I can rebuild your TransNote BIOS/CMOS battery!

#3 Post by wisdomkeeper » Sat May 31, 2014 3:50 pm

It's very easy to solder the old nickel strips(and wires with the connector) on the new CR2032, using rust transformer(orthophosphoric acid) as a flux. If you have soldering iron and solder, it will cost you as cheap as 2 dollars. I spent 2,5levs(1$=1.4levs) for this - 0.9levs for rust transformer, 1lev for CR2032 and 0.5levs for heat shrink tube - any diameter bigger than fi 12 should do the trick.
As to the connector - I have never seen any mention of it's type in the internet.