Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

770X Aftermarket Battery? (*And quick PIII linux question)

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
Choram

770X Aftermarket Battery? (*And quick PIII linux question)

#1 Post by Choram » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:52 am

So I've recently acquired a 770X with an SXGA screen, and I've upgraded it to a PIII @ 500MHz with 512MB PC100 RAM and a 32GB mSATA SSD. (I also scored factory new Selectabase 770 and Selectadock III's, one happy camper right here :P Now if only I could find a PCI Voodoo 5 5500...)

I've fallen in love with it's beautifully designed keyboard and want to use it portably to take notes in class with (also since no one can complain of me being online lol). However, it has been a hassle to constantly find a spot to plug into that's out of the way enough so no one trips over it and my notes are lost.

I've tried doing some research on where to find an aftermarket battery for this dinosaur and the least-questionable place I've found is http://www.thinkpad-parts.com. Does anyone have any experience with this site, and can vouch for it or any other source that may be available?

*Also, I've been able to enable the PIII's L2 cache on just about every version of Windows, but figuring out how to do it on linux is a $(*&)@#^ pain. Between linld (loadlin's updated successor, can't get it to work for some reason), multiple VM solutions, and Wine, I just can't get linux to run to it's full potential on this hardware. If I could straddle Bodhi Linux instead of Windows 7 as my efficient and modern go-to OS, I'd consider this laptop a done deal. (Well, besides the Voodoo 5500. :wink:) Any words on this as well?

Thank you all for your valuable time and advice,

- Charles S.

Dekks

Re: 770X Aftermarket Battery? (*And quick PIII linux question)

#2 Post by Dekks » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:43 am

Firstly i assume your talking about EXTERNAL L2 Cache on a P3? Can you run CPUID & dmidecode -t cache and what do they output.

[UPDATE] What make of bios does the machine have? There is a https://www.wimsbios.com/forum/notebook ... t4046.html that suggests updating the microcode activates the external cache on the P3 CPU on the 600 series.
Home - Win 10 MSi GF63 Gaming Laptop /Arch GNOME 3/X230 Tablet /X61 [Korean] - Debian 10/T60p - Ubuntu 20.10 Helix 2
Work - Win10/Thinkpad X1 Tablet Gen 2