Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Installing an OS on IBM 240 without CD-ROM/FDD?

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
Maliha
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

Installing an OS on IBM 240 without CD-ROM/FDD?

#1 Post by Maliha » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi,

Just acquired an old IBM 240 in stellar shape, it came preinstalled with Win XP on a wee tot 6GB HDD, I have got a spare [compatible] 20GB HDD which I would like to put in it, but I don't have any accessories or access to external CD-ROM or Floppy disk drive to install an OS on it. Is it possible to install any OS on it without these two devices?

On an aside note, the speakers on this thing are far superior than any thinkpad I have ever used.

Thanks in advance!
Thinkpads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]
Apple:- Macbook Air[Snow Leopard]

sb102
Freshman Member

Re: Installing an OS on IBM 240 without CD-ROM/FDD?

#2 Post by sb102 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Hello,

Try searching in this part of the forum ('ThinkPad Legacy Hardware') first - there are numerous threads on how to install an OS on a notebook without a CD-ROM drive. One thing is sure - it's going to be hard to put an OS on the disk without a FDD (unless you want to transplant your hard disk to another machine and install it there).
Proud owner of:

IBM TP T42, IBM TP 390X, IBM TP 701C, IBM TP 560X, IBM TP 600 plus a ThinkVision L150p 15.0-inch LCD Monitor. Also a DELL AXIM v5 as an iPod (cheaper and has more features than Apple's stuff...).

Maliha
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#3 Post by Maliha » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:12 am

sb102 wrote:Hello,

Try searching in this part of the forum ('ThinkPad Legacy Hardware') first - there are numerous threads on how to install an OS on a notebook without a CD-ROM drive. One thing is sure - it's going to be hard to put an OS on the disk without a FDD (unless you want to transplant your hard disk to another machine and install it there).
I put that 20GB drive in my T42p and installed Win 2000 on it, after putting it back in IBM 240 it gave me following message on boot:

"NTLDR is Missing
Press any key to restart"

Do you think Win 98 or any linux distro will do better than this?

Thanks again!

Maliha

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Neil » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:21 am

Win98 and some Linux distros would likely do better in that situtation, yes. But, the best way would be to make the drive bootable in the T42 and copy only the set-up files onto the drive, but don't install. Then transfer the drive to the 240, boot and run setup or install with the drive in the 240.

You can search the web for more detailed instructions if needed. There are a lot of ways to install an OS without a CD-ROM or FDD.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

Maliha
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#5 Post by Maliha » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:48 am

Thanks Neil for your post.

I installed Win 98 on T42p with that 20GB drive, and then inserted it in IBM 240, guess what Eureka!

Now, I'm going to give linux a try, and probably Win XP later on too. I will report back once I've tried them.

Maliha
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#6 Post by Maliha » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:23 am

I couldn't get linux to work, gave up after trying Fedora and Linux Mint, also neither XP worked, but guess which other OS I tried on and it worked out? Windows 7, yes that's right and surprising think is that the performance isn't as bad as I though it would be. Windows boots up more or less in 1/half minutes, with a lightweight browser k-meleon browsing is great, although I haven't tried watching any youtube or flash based videos so far, I'm sure it wouldn't be such a good idea. I had planned to sick with Win 98 but couldn't get all the drivers to work, nor my PCMCIA wifi card supported 98.

Here is a pic of it:- http://i31.tinypic.com/1zbgkew.jpg

Maliha
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#7 Post by Maliha » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Finally, I was able to put Win XP on the bigger 20GB drive; without CD-ROM but not without floppy drive.

Here are the steps involved:-

1. Required accessories: a floppy drive for your IBM 240, a thinkpad (other than IBM 240) that takes ATA/IDE HDD, XP's installation CD.
2. Download and a make a startup boot diskette of Win 98SE, can be downloaded here: http://1gighost.com/ed/jamiephiladelphia/boot98sc.exe, this can also be done on your desktop given that it has a floppy drive. Just double click the .exe, press enter few times and you're done.
3. Put the HDD in the other thinkpad (in my case it was T42p), install XP on it. During setup, make sure to partition the drive in two halves (C:\ and D:\) and format them as FAT.
4. After installation, copy the contents of XP CD to D:\.
5. Remove the HDD and put it back in IBM 240. Attach the FDD and insert startup disk for Win 98SE.
6. Power on the system, on boot the startup disk will try to find CD-ROM Banana ( :lol: ) ending up in error and leaving you on A:\.
7. Type "smartdrv.exe" on A:\.
8. Smartdrive is included in the above startup diskette you made, it speeds up XP's copying process.
9. I'm not sure if this is required, but I formated C:\ with "format c: /s" command in order to wipe off previous install of XP.
10. Type these next:

D: (Enter)
cd i386 (Enter)
winnt.exe (Enter)

11. XP will take you to a blue colored screen where it would ask for XP's path, press enter again, if it doesn't work then just enter D:\ there.

12. XP will copy files to the drive, once done it will ask to remove the diskette from the FDD before restarting.

13. From there it's just a normal XP installation. :)

I hope someone finds this helpful. :wink:

Bookworm

#8 Post by Bookworm » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:38 pm

> guess which other OS I tried on and it worked out? Windows 7, yes that's right and surprising
> think is that the performance isn't as bad as I though it would be.

:eek:

Which is faster, XP or 7?

Maliha
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#9 Post by Maliha » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:24 pm

Bookworm wrote:> guess which other OS I tried on and it worked out? Windows 7, yes that's right and surprising
> think is that the performance isn't as bad as I though it would be.

:eek:

Which is faster, XP or 7?
Windows XP is faster, nonetheless once 7 has finished loading it's honestly not bad taking this into consideration that IBM 240 has a decade old legacy hardware inside, even I was able to proofread some university projects seamlessly using Word and Powerpoint on it.

The battery life is pretty poor though, another downside is that there is no sound driver available for Win 7.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#10 Post by ThinkRob » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:33 am

Out of curiosity, what happened when you tried Fedora and Mint?
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

Maliha
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#11 Post by Maliha » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:47 pm

ThinkRob wrote:Out of curiosity, what happened when you tried Fedora and Mint?
Just a blank screen after POST with no activity at all. Perhaps it was good in a way because my PCMCIA wifi card doesn't support linux, I found this out after I had bought the card. :(

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#12 Post by ThinkRob » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:15 pm

Maliha wrote: Just a blank screen after POST with no activity at all. Perhaps it was good in a way because my PCMCIA wifi card doesn't support linux, I found this out after I had bought the card. :(
That's really odd. Almost sounds like an issue with GRUB TBH. I'd be curious to see if an older version of the same worked (i.e. something using GRUB legacy instead of GRUB2).
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.

Maliha
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#13 Post by Maliha » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:05 am

ThinkRob wrote: That's really odd. Almost sounds like an issue with GRUB TBH. I'd be curious to see if an older version of the same worked (i.e. something using GRUB legacy instead of GRUB2).
Could be so, but I'm not well versed with linux stuff, I only know how to do the installation, however I'm willing to try this out on the 6GB spare drive if you would guide me through it, thanks!

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#14 Post by ThinkRob » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:55 am

Maliha wrote: Could be so, but I'm not well versed with linux stuff, I only know how to do the installation, however I'm willing to try this out on the 6GB spare drive if you would guide me through it, thanks!
Actually, I have a quick question first: does anything at all appear after POST? Anything with strings like "loading", "GRUB", or "boot"?

Maliha
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#15 Post by Maliha » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:09 am

ThinkRob wrote:Actually, I have a quick question first: does anything at all appear after POST? Anything with strings like "loading", "GRUB", or "boot"?
Nope, nothing, nada, nil. Just a blank screen.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#16 Post by ThinkRob » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Maliha wrote: Nope, nothing, nada, nil. Just a blank screen.
Well... huh. You got me.

Without poking and prodding the machine directly it's hard to guess, but the only thing that I can think of might be to use an older distro (and thus an older version of GRUB.) My theory is that the newer distros are trying to configure the drive to use GPT and are installing GRUB2, one (or both) of which don't play nice with the 240's BIOS.

That's just a guess though. My next step would be try a range of older distros -- perhaps going back to ones made several years ago -- until you find the approximate point at which they cease to boot. That might give some insight into what the problem is.

Maliha
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#17 Post by Maliha » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:13 pm

I will update you in a few days, as few projects are piling up at school with end of the term approaching.