Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

firmware upgrade on 390X (2626-F0G)

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
is

firmware upgrade on 390X (2626-F0G)

#1 Post by is » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:49 am

Hello.

I got an IBM ThinkPad 390X (model 2626-F0G) a few hours ago. This computer has an ancient firmware on it; in fact, it looks like the first firmware version available on this model (BIOS version ISB030WW, VideoBIOS version V1.17.21.26, slave controller version 01.29.10).

I am trying to upgrade the firmware to the latest version available on Lenovo's site (ISB055WW, from 27th december 2001) but the machine hangs each time I run the firmware upgrade utility. I have tried two different diskettes and even ran it by hand (e.g., "flash2 /U", "phlash ..."). In all cases the firmware upgrade utility hangs in the process and nothing seems to be written (hopefully!). On http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... igr-4c5up9 we can read:
If system hangs during the system program update with then message:
" Updating System BIOS ....... "
or the following message appears at the end of system program update:
" >> Error << A hardware error occurred"
the system program may not have updated. Power off the system then power on again to see if the system works. If the system does not work, the system has a problem. Contact a service center to have the system repaired. If the system works, the system program has not been updated. You can use the system with the current version of system program. But, to update the system program, contact a service center and have the system repaired. (The system can be powered off by holding the power switch in the ON position for approximately 5 seconds, then release it.)
I have seen both errors ("Updating System BIOS ........" hang when booting from diskette, and the ">> Error << A hardware error occurred" when running the update utility by hand but only one time); so, it looks like a known problem. On the other hand, this computer is working fine and has a fully charged battery (it seems in very good condition).

The only component that may require a change is the backup battery used by the RTC (CR1220); will try to get one in the next hours.

Had anyone problems when upgrading the firmware on their 390X's? What can I do? (Obviously, sending this computer to a service center to have the system's firmware upgraded is out of the question.)

Thanks!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: firmware upgrade on 390X (2626-F0G)

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:14 am

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

is

#3 Post by is » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:29 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Any serious answer?

jayton4

#4 Post by jayton4 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:26 am

I do not think you can get any more serious of an answer than that. If you want to keep that computer usable leave flashing the BIOS alone!

I have twice in my life had BIOS updates go wrong, turning very expensive computers into paper weights.

A couple of other times, I have had BIOS updates that caused reduced stability.

Just like the other poster said, if it isn't broke, then don't fix it. Only if the revision file for the new BIOS lists specifically a fix for an exact problem you see occurring. This is especially true for classics like the 390X. Ruining that motherboard with a bad BIOS flash is like sending a good 1962 Corvette to the crusher. Computers today have special programs that do it all for you and it is very easy to flash, but these classic models are much more temperamental.
jayton4
Current models/upgrades:
T410 2518X01- 8GB, Corsair Force GT 120GB
T410s 2901A3U- 8GB, Intel 6300 WiFi, Crucial m4 256GB w/ mSATA>microSATA adapter
T420s 4174PPU- 16GB, Intel 520 180GB, Crucial M550 512GB mSATA, Intel 6300 WiFi
and a stack of classics in storage