Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Smallest Thinkpad with PCMCIA?

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
westsailor
Freshman Member

Smallest Thinkpad with PCMCIA?

#1 Post by westsailor » Sun May 23, 2010 8:48 am

I use my T60 in a band to play (MP3) backing tracks. I use a Creative Audigy 2ZX PCMCIA card to create/play these backing tracks.

I'm really not liking exposing my T60 to such a unfriendly environment. I've been thinking of picking up a dedicated 'Band Use Only' Thinkpad on eBay... something small (12-13" display) that would include a PCMCIA slot.

Since it's just going to be a glorified iPod it doesn't need to be a high performance laptop/notebook but it needs to run XP at least.

Any suggestions?

p.s. the reason I DON'T just use an iPod is a) iPod interface isn't suitable and b) I also use a audio DSP for post processing of the MP3's during playback.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Smallest Thinkpad with PCMCIA?

#2 Post by Harryc » Sun May 23, 2010 10:49 am

I am thinking an X31 would be perfect. It does not have an optical drive unless you also get the X3 Ultrabase, but it does have a PCMCIA slot and it easily runs XP. I have one for sale if you are interested send me a PM.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=87665

Bookworm

#3 Post by Bookworm » Sun May 23, 2010 8:36 pm

Was there ever a ThinkPad without PCMCIA? The smallest ever - the PC110 - had the usual "2 type 2 or one type 3" slots. (But I wouldn't try to run XP on it.)

westsailor
Freshman Member

#4 Post by westsailor » Mon May 24, 2010 9:15 am

Harryc wrote:I am thinking an X31 would be perfect. It does not have an optical drive unless you also get the X3 Ultrabase, but it does have a PCMCIA slot and it easily runs XP. I have one for sale if you are interested send me a PM.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=87665
I was rummaging around in the forum and discovered the thread regarding the lack of stereo recording on T61's (and later?). Apparently stereo recording was 'quietly' disabled at some point.

Where in the Thinkpads 'heritage' does the X31 lie (i.e. before/after T61 series)? Or more specifically, does the X31 allow stereo recording (extremely important to my needs)?

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#5 Post by Harryc » Mon May 24, 2010 9:37 am

16-bit and 8-bit stereo playback and recording

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... 58212.html