Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

TP600X - NeoMagic Video driver - Updated - Case closed

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
CeeBee
Sophomore Member

TP600X - NeoMagic Video driver - Updated - Case closed

#1 Post by CeeBee » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:26 am

TP600X 500MHz with 576MB and a 120GB drive running under XP Pro/Sp3.

I currently use XP's signed NeoMagic MagicGraph256ZX version 5.31.00 driver. However, I have IBM's W2K driver NeoMagic MagicMedia256ZX version 5.39.00 as well (which works under XP, although unsigned). Which one is the better choice. Any pros - cons?

Neither one of the above are capable of 3D. Is there a driver for this setup which has Direct3D functionality under DirectX 9.0c? Probably not, but I'm asking regardless. Thanks, CBA

p.s.: yes, I searched the forum and the web for 600X video drivers and there were many hits. But, no clear recommendations as to which driver, XP's signed or IBM's unsigned W2K driver (vftprw2k.exe) is the better one for normal use. For example, one comment on the web said "Windows XP nativly recognizes the NeoMagic256 chipset and works better then this driver", so the matter isn't that clear cut to me.

p.p.s.: as I got no feedback here, I went ahead and tried IBM's W2K video driver. Short story, on my setup, it didn't work well. For whatever reasons, after the driver change I got a somewhat 'flaky' video. I tried it for a while (several reboots) and the video remained unstable .. so I rolled the driver back to XP's signed version. Surprise, surprise, the video acted up still. Rather than fiddling with driver files or registry entries I decided to restore the boot partition. Once done, all is well...and case closed, as far as I'm concerned.