Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

E550

Edge / E-Series
lbaka

E550

#1 Post by lbaka » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:32 pm

Any reviews on this model at all ? Thinking of getting my first ThinkPad soon and this looks like the ideal one [ price / looks ], especially if I upgrade a few of the specs [ i5-5200U Processor, 1920 x 1080 Screen, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD ]

Looking for some reviews on the build, keyboard feel, etc.. I've read a lot of negative things about the E series and want to know if it applies to these newer models

If it matters, I was considering either this or the T440s or X1 Carbon 1st gen (both would be refurbished). Price range is ~$1000CAD

Nadav

Re: E550

#2 Post by Nadav » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Almost two months passed... I hope it's still relevant, maybe for someone else.

I have the E550 for five days now. It's not the perfect time to review it, but until now I'm VERY impressed. The Edge series hate is mostly by users who are used to "real" thinkpads. The Edge is just not a real Thinkpad in terms of build quality (although I don't see any other difference other than this). See here.

Now, regarding the E550 in particular, it looks great (a solid business notebook), it performs great, and it does have most thinkpad features: a superior keyboard - I really like the feel of it (and it also has a number pad), a trackpoint which I think is the best pointing device (and the trackpoint buttons are back), thinkpad's active protection system, OneLink connectivity, and in my model I also have a fingerprint reader.

The trackpad is also pretty good, though I haven't used it much until now (the trackpoint is just much better to me...)
Important to mention is that fingerprints don't stay on the surface; they disappear quickly and it's easy to clean it.

My E550 specs:,
Processor: Intel Core i5-5200U & Intel HD Graphics 5500
Memory: 4GB 1600MHz DDR3
Screen: 15.6" 1366x768 HD Mate (the lower option)
Storage: 500GB SATA 7200RPM HDD
Camera: 720p (not the 3D type)

There's a full NotebookCheck review of the i3 model

If you want a great & solid notebook buy it.
If you want a super notebook buy the T or X ThinkPads.

Return to “ThinkPad Edge / E-series”