thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
IBM & lenovo legacy model ThinkPad support files are available on thinkpads.com.
including Hardware Maintenance Manuals, latest or final driver updates and more.
at: thinkpads.com

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Edge parts for T420
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:42 pm 
Sophomore Member

Hey all,

I had a lovely Edge 14 inch for a year. But recently my desk collapsed while my laptop and a cup of juice was on it. Needless to say that was not a good combo. Fried the motherboard. A T420 was within $100 of the price of the new Edge series (E430) so I bought one. What parts from the Edge can I use as extra/backup for the T series. I know the RAM memory is compatible. anything else?

There was not a lot of juice just drops got into the most important parts.

Post subject: Re: Edge parts for T420
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:09 pm 

Bummer about the juice spill. What model was your edge?

I was in a conference room with my boss and we both had our W520's with us when someone swung around a monitor on a swivel stand and hit an open jug of coffee and the whole 24 ounces or whatever went right onto his W520 keyboard. We held it up then flipped it on it's side, powered it down, took out the battery, sopped up all the coffee and took the machine apart right there. took the covers off the back, keyboard out, optical out, etc.

Went through the thing with a fine tooth comb to get as much of the liquid out as we could. Used q-tips one of the guys had to get as much as we could out of it.

Put it all back together and powered it on and it worked. Had to replace the keyboard a week later, but that was a few months ago now. So you might have better luck with your T420 were lightning to strike again.