Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

2013 Edges announced

Edge / E-Series
Latios
Freshman Member

2013 Edges announced

#1 Post by Latios » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:31 pm

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/06/leno ... link-dock/
It's edge centered (lol) but I figured it should go here because it has implications for the rest of the line
More important than speeds and feeds, though, the company is ushering in a redesigned trackpad, one that gets rid of those secondary buttons meant to be used with the TrackPoint. (They're now built into the touchpad, clickpad-style.)
To go with it, Lenovo also unveiled the OneLink dock, a peripheral with four USB ports, HDMI and an Ethernet jack. Lenovo says OneLink will also become standard for the ThinkPad line, so we're guessing more accessories like this aren't far off.
Excuse me but what is Lenovo doing to the ThinkPad line? Are they slowly killing all the good things in a blind effort to try and grab customers from other user bases while hoping that we just quietly die off? It seems as if they start with poison from the Edge and then spreading that stuff to the rest of the line? Next thing you know we have a glossy finish T series with drop hinges and faux metal trim. This must be how the world ends :jhem:
/end rant
X61 Tablet 7762-WSF L7700 1.8Ghz, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Crucial M4
L412 4403-CTO i3-380M, 4GB DDR3, ATi 545v, 500GB disk
X220 Tablet 4298-X02 i5-2520M, 4GB DDR3, 120GB Intel 520
X100e 3507-A11 "Mini 10"(2010 DER one) N450, 2GB DDR2, 160GB disk, 10.1" panel with the big bezel

unix_joe

Re: 2013 Edges announced

#2 Post by unix_joe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:18 pm

Hahahaha, Lenovo dragging the Thinkpad brand through the mud. Ridiculous.

This + Windows 8 means my next machine is probably going to have an Apple on it.
unix_joe
Me: ThinkPad Z13 - Debian Stable KDE
Wife: ThinkPad Z16 - Pop!_OS
Kids: ThinkPad X280 - Debian Stable Gnome
TV: ThinkPad P14s - Debian Stable

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by ThinkRob » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 pm

Given the difference between what I expected of the "chiclet" keyboards and what they actually felt like when I tried them, I think it would be prudent for me to reserve judgement on the new buttons until I get a chance to use them.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

Ibthink

#4 Post by Ibthink » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Given the difference between what I expected of the "chiclet" keyboards and what they actually felt like when I tried them, I think it would be prudent for me to reserve judgement on the new buttons until I get a chance to use them.
Thats right. Judge things before trying is not very fair. Maybe is the new Ultranav arrangement really great?

Also, whats bad about the OneLink dockings? I think it is good that Lenovo made that step, because enables Lenovo to put a OneLink dockingport on Thin-and-Light systems like the X1 Carbon, which lack a standard docking port.

There is another change which will spread across the hole new ThinkPad lineup: The F key separation in groups returns :banana:
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

unix_joe

#5 Post by unix_joe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:56 pm

ThinkRob wrote:Given the difference between what I expected of the "chiclet" keyboards and what they actually felt like when I tried them, I think it would be prudent for me to reserve judgement on the new buttons until I get a chance to use them.
You're right. Last year I was the first one complaining about the T430's keyboard, until I actually got a machine with the new chiclet design. Now I prefer the chiclet to the old design (typing this on a T400 ironically) by far.

Still, were people really not buying Thinkpads because the trackpad is too small? Lenovo is the largest PC manufacturer in the world. I know I won't be buying a Thinkpad anymore if they mess up the trackpoint.
unix_joe
Me: ThinkPad Z13 - Debian Stable KDE
Wife: ThinkPad Z16 - Pop!_OS
Kids: ThinkPad X280 - Debian Stable Gnome
TV: ThinkPad P14s - Debian Stable

Return to “ThinkPad Edge / E-series”