Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock hell

Edge / E-Series
rablaw

Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock hell

#1 Post by rablaw » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:16 pm

I tried to install a Lenovo USB 3.0 dock with my new E430 today. Immediately after installing the software, the laptop became very
S L O WL, unbearably so. Also could not connect to internet reliably.
I uninstalled it, but still, same issue, along with two error messages after system restore in safe mode. The four Lenovo people I spoke with were little help. Ulimately, the last one said restore to factory settings!!!
I would rather not do that of course.
Anyone out there who can help?
There is only one error message now:
"Failed to load xml(C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\RapidBootHDD Accelerator\English\lang.xml)".

Help, please, I like the laptop, but if I have to use Windows transfer again, and make sure I don't miss any new data, and re-install everything, I would be tempted to return this and buy something else. The thing is, the specs are excellent for the price (i7 quad). And it can take 16gb ram (which I installed after market).
I may also try the Toshiba Dock. Anyone happy with it? It didn't get uniformly great reviews, but the bad ones tended to be for Win *, and I use Win 7 Pro 64 bit.
Many Thanks, and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

rablaw

Re: Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock hell

#2 Post by rablaw » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:37 am

Update:
I might have solved the problem. I downloaded the Lenovo file "RapidBoost HDD Accelerator" and reinstalled it, even though my computer said it was working properly. Still did not work properly, but better, the error message disappeared.
I also uninstalled everything I installed for the past couple of days (so I don't know if any specific program caused the problem).
My laptop seems to work fine now. FWIW, I uninstalled Libre Office, which I suspect is the most likely culprit. But, this should never have happened.
I had a T42 years ago. The tech support was superb then. Now, I am extremely disappointed.
I'm not even sure I spoke with a qualified tech. When pressed, they acknowledged they were in CUSTOMER SERVICE, not TECH SUPPORT. The last bit of advice I received was to re-set the laptop to factory fresh state. Ha Ha. I would sooner get a different laptop.
No matter how much I pleaded, they would not transfer me to a high level tech. Clearly, they were just following a script listing the most common solutions - none of which applied.
I'm not saying to avoid Lenovo, but I do recommend you NOT buy the USB 3.0 Dock. I will try the Toshiba dynadock® U3.0 Universal USB 3.0 Docking Station, and see what happens.