Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

E545 FHD Display Upgrade

Edge / E-Series
dcrdev

E545 FHD Display Upgrade

#1 Post by dcrdev » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:19 am

Hi All,

I recently bought an E545 with an AMD A10. but I'm not really that satisfied with the screen resolution. I knew what I was getting into - but at the price I paid it was a steal.

I would like to upgrade the screen to a Full HD (1920x1080) display - whilst there is no direct replacement for my model of laptop, I've done quite a lot of research and believe the following display to be compatible: AUO B156HW01.

My reasoning for beleiving this is:
  • The screen is used in the Lenovo W530 - additionally there are models of the W530 that use the same LCD panel as the E545 (part number: 04W0430). This indicates that the screen is the same size i.e. depth and will fit in the chasis of the E545.
  • According to this post: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/11e-Window ... d-p/890981 two users have successfully installed the above screen in an E530. The E530 also has a model which uses the same LCD as the E545.
  • The E530 uses exactly the same 40-pin LCD Cable (part number: 04W4124) as the E545. Additionally on both the E545 and the E530 the LCD cables are positioned on the left side of the display.

The only remaining question - is the output from the E545 capable of displaying full hd resolutions? The external monitor output and graphics chipset are certainly capable of 1080p - I just need specifics about the internals before I make my purchase.

I'm not concerned about warrenty as after speaking to Lenovo they confirmed that this will not void the warrenty unless a fault develops as a result of the screen upfgrade itself.

Also if there's anything I've overlooked feel free to mention...